The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so poking around yards this weekend, it’s way too costly (900$??? LOL!) to source a used 3.3 to replace in my 06 T&C. I have a donor 06 Sebring 2.4 base auto in pretty good shape, similar mileage, with a failing transmission. Would it be feasible to take the 2.4 from the Sebring and insert it into the T&C? What else would I need? Can I reuse the PCM from the Sebring or do I need a van specific one? Is this even worth my time or should I just keep looking for a replacement 3.3?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does the 2.4 mount to an A604?
The only reason I asked is there’s a belt diagram for a 2.4 listed alongside the 3.3/3.8 variants on the hood latch support beam sticker. I would almost believe it should work, I remember these vans being sold with I4 as well as V6 and I can only assume it’s the same Chrysler/Mitsubishi power plant from the Stratus/Sebring. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yes, that 2.4 N/A applications were used in 1996 - 2007 caravans.

If you think that the 3.3L is under power for our vans, just try a 2,4L in the van. Compare the curb weight of a Seabring to a Caravan.

There is a 2.4L turbo version as well. It produced 215-235 horsepower and 245 lb-ft of torque. It would be an upgrade like a 3.8L.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a 2.4L turbo version as well. It produced 215-235 horsepower and 245 lb-ft of torque. It would be an upgrade like a 3.8L.
You have my attention. I was wondering about the SRT4/PTGT motor. Has this been done? Any build threads? Thanks for the reply!

·
fix it if you can
4,688 Posts
Your PCM (integrated ECU + TCM) will not control an SRT motor...
IDK if there's a way to flash a 4-banger van PCM for SRT (I don't recall SRT with VPW protocol application)

If you need to pass OBD emissions test, you'll have to spend considerably more than 900 to make it work.

go check on car-part.com to see who has a 3.3 and what they want for it...
you can probably get a whole used van for around a grand and sell the other parts...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Unlikely the transmission would bolt-up or be geared correctly. Also the later 2.4L (~2005+) have a severe problem where the thrust bearing fails to ruin the block. Why they made it smaller after a decade of no issues is the question. What is wrong with your 3.3L engine that you can't fix it? If low-compression, I expect you can do a "ring job" with the block in the vehicle, at least I did that on my 1996 2.4L Voyager when I had to replace the head gasket (to newer MLS).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
BillGrissom
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing