The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an engine code p0020 and an engine leak, took it to Firestone, they gave me a 1700 quote to replace the oil filter housing and one vvt. So I said bye. i wasn’t able to remove one of the screws bc it was free spinning. Pried it out only to find the ‘nut’ that the mounting screw goes in came out of the valve cover. I can’t get them apart. Can I order this insert separately and a set of mounting bolts? If so WHERE?!?
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Headlamp Grey

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Grand Voyager Limited
254 Posts
Typical that style of fastener is heat set in the housing.
I can't comment of the availability of a replacement set (some times captive nuts like these are available in an "over size" to facilitate a repair.

You may have success by using a high strength high temp glue and glueing the insert back in. Or using an insert with a self tapping thread on the out which you screw in - though there appears to be not much "meat" In that area so cracking of the housing may be a problem.

fasteningsolutionsuk.com/scr_threaded_inserts

might give you some ideas

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I discovered I may have to to replace the valve cover for $100 but had some high heat 2 part epoxy and it went in snug and hammer it in flush, and the screw went in tight.. I added some sealant for extra security. We’ll see if that holds up.

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Grand Voyager Limited
254 Posts
Good attempt at the repair and I guess $100 for a new valve cover isn't to bad if it doesn't work- at worst the repair will let you make sure everything else is sorted before you sons any more money

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,323 Posts
You can drill a small hole in the side to stake the piece in place with a small rod or screw. That will be enough to keep it from turning. A bigger concern is will it keep it from popping outward when the solenoid activates? If you notice oil seeping around it after you put it back on the road, you'll need that new valve cover.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can drill a small hole in the side to stake the piece in place with a small rod or screw. That will be enough to keep it from turning. A bigger concern is will it keep it from popping outward when the solenoid activates? If you notice oil seeping around it after you put it back on the road, you'll need that new valve cover.
Thx, but these mits would never have fit in there! Haha I used a good amount of gasket sealant last week when reinstalling and have noticed a significant decrease. I was only looking under the van (after noticing a dozen or drops or so every time I stopped), and it had stopped dripping on the road just not inside the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts