The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So to start off I have a 1993 town and country 2WD... 3.3L MFI 6 cyl

Okay so the problem that I thought was going to be simply bad gas has turned into a huge I DON"T FRIGGING KNOW... it started friday when hubby filled up on way home... that night the van acted like it didn't want to start right away, which is unusual since we haven't had any problems with it running or anything.. then after it started it kept wanting to die on him and he had to keep foot on gas peddle to keep engine running.... next morning when we went out to look at it it won't start now... it cranks and dies... so we changed fuel filter just to be sure, nothing... you can here the fuel pump cut on when key is turned so figure that isn't the prob. when we checked the fuel rail to see about pressure at first it read 30lbs.. then dropped to 0 and now there is no pressure unless we try to crank it and pump gas pedal... I have considered that maybe it is the ASD relay but have been reading that those usually don't just break that they usually shut down because of something else.. so now i am wondering if anyone else has any suggestions on what to check before spending a lot of money on useless parts replacement.. if so you can email me at [email protected] thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does it "catch" and die when started or does it just crank and crank?
If it's the former it may be lubrication problem (not getting oil). If it's the latter it may be electrical, like the distributor coil pack burning out. Had that happen to my '95. An engine basically needs fuel and spark to start, so focus on those two areas.

when we went out to look at it it won't start now... it cranks and dies... so we

·
Registered
562 Posts
I would think that if all this trouble started after you got gas then you probably did get bad gas.

Does the pump run for a few seconds when the key is turned to the run position?

If it does, then measure the fuel pressure at the fuel rail test point. It should be more than 48 psi with the engine off. When the engine is running, the pressure regulator holds the pressure at 48 psi. Anything less and you have a fuel delivery problem. Just my $0.02.

FredB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts