The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,155 Posts
The Liberty was liberated. :)
Such a stupid name for a vehicle. What were they thinking, replacing the woodsy Cherokee with such a vehicle.
The Owners weren't liberated from numerous problems based on a Friend's experience. Poorly named and poorly executed. Rust prone Patriot is another bad name. Compass sounds better, relates to the branding.
Just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought my 2011 T&C Touring from Enterprise Used Car Sales in 2012. I don't recall the mileage, but I'd say it likely had nothing by oil & filter change and maybe brake pads. It's at 180,000+ miles now, and over its lifetime needed one head replaced under either warranty or service extension (burned valve from insufficiently sized coolant passages in engines prior to 2012-ish), then went mostly problem free up to well beyond 100,000 miles. In more recent years it needed rockers and cams in both heads, engine oil cooler (buried somewhere in the middle of the engine apparently), cooling system hoses (that plastic Y-pipe breaks, replace with metal), lower control arms TWICE for torn rubber bushings (use Moog Suspension CK-series, not Mopar), the transmission was rebuilt (at AAMCO and required about 3 more subsequent services under warranty), and I just did the fuel pump relay this past weekend. Minor other mechanical things: Hatch struts, parking brake cable & ratchet pedal assembly because it stripped, and the spare tire lowering mechanism because that stripped. LOTS of brake jobs because the brakes are undersized before the heavy-duty 2-cylinder piston option that came in 2012. I do brakes about every 20 months, replacing rotors every-other brake job. Calipers all leaked and required replacing some time after 140,000 miles.

So it's been a combination of regular maintenance items and parts wearing out from use, and some failures from simply bad design, like the ticking heads with the rockers & cams. For the miles we've put on it, it's been the workhorse of our family, and I can't complain TOO much. Overall I'd buy from Enterprise Used Car Sales again without any worries, do regular maintenance and fix things as they fail. I think any vehicle that you keep beyond 120,000 miles you can expect more mechanical issues. You either have to accept that you may have some big repair bills, or you should buy a newer vehicle. I tend to keep my vehicles and maintain them very well until they get wrecked; otherwise I keep driving and maintaining them.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Grand Caravan GT
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks everyone for the comments, suggestions, stories. Y’all’s comments are in line with what I was thinking Enterprise, and other, rental companies handled maintenance on their vehicles. I will be handling as much of the maintenance on my van as I can handle but will probably take it to someone if it goes deeper than the oil cooler housing.

I have always done all of my own maintenance, including engine rebuilds, so nothing is gonna change, it might take longer though. The 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport that I have has 325k miles on it and is running fine, knock on wood. I had to replace the cylinder head on it right after I bought it. That was the last time I want to do that job, especially in a gravel driveway. Some things on it don’t work but is only a minor inconvenience.

Again, thanks y’all

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
1,716 Posts
Thanks everyone for the comments, suggestions, stories. Y’all’s comments are in line with what I was thinking Enterprise, and other, rental companies handled maintenance on their vehicles. I will be handling as much of the maintenance on my van as I can handle but will probably take it to someone if it goes deeper than the oil cooler housing.

I have always done all of my own maintenance, including engine rebuilds, so nothing is gonna change, it might take longer though. The 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport that I have has 325k miles on it and is running fine, knock on wood. I had to replace the cylinder head on it right after I bought it. That was the last time I want to do that job, especially in a gravel driveway. Some things on it don’t work but is only a minor inconvenience.

Again, thanks y’all

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My YJ has 252k miles on the 2.5L and, while a bit noisy, is still running as well!

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SE
80 Posts
I’m casually looking at the 6th Gen Chrysler Pacifica (2019+ model years) or Voyager from Hertz Rental. I really won’t consider a 5th Gen.
Are the 6th gens more reliable? In what way?
Especially as a former rental.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts