The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Town & Country
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had Hail damage to my 2012 T&C, the body shop failed to re-connect the satellite antenna after numerous attempts the dealer finally fixed the problem but the headliner was taken down many times in the process and now the Long Overhead entertainment Console rattles Very Bad. I took it down and found 4 plastic "push in" fasteners that were worn out. I took them to two different dealers, they were unable to find them on any of their parts diagrams, they think if I buy a new Console (over $300) these parts will come with it. I have figured no way modify it to allow a different fastening method as these are "blind" fasteners.
Has anyone dealt with this issue ?

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have not dealt with this particular issue, so seeing a picture of the fastener and knowing the hole diameter would be helpful. I am however pretty good at doing red neck solutions, so from the top of my head I would try one of these drywall fasteners that expand when a screw is driven into them. If there is no room, I had good luck with trimming the split portion off of them and pressing the short body into the hole so it fits snugly. Then drive a screw with a big, flat head or a small washer. If done right, it is stronger than the original clips.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I had Hail damage to my 2012 T&C, the body shop failed to re-connect the satellite antenna after numerous attempts the dealer finally fixed the problem but the headliner was taken down many times in the process and now the Long Overhead entertainment Console rattles Very Bad. I took it down and found 4 plastic "push in" fasteners that were worn out. I took them to two different dealers, they were unable to find them on any of their parts diagrams, they think if I buy a new Console (over $300) these parts will come with it. I have figured no way modify it to allow a different fastening method as these are "blind" fasteners.
Has anyone dealt with this issue ?
Do you have a picture of the worn out fasteners?

·
Super Moderator
6,469 Posts
Wow, a dealer couldn't figure that out for you?

Looks like a standard "christmas tree" style fastener to me. You would just have to figure out what size you need. An auto parts store should be able to find the right replacements, especially if you bring one in with you and hopefully get you back to a quiet van again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts