The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byfueltype.htm

I was bored and looked these up.
It seems kind of sad that all Chrysler E-85 vehicles seem to be the least efficient of the bunch. (Impala hwy numbers are the only ones worse)

The best vehicle for it was anything powered by the 5.3 Chevy, the 5.4 Ford, or the 5.6 Nissan.
What I was looking at with those 3 engines was the drop off in mileage from gas to E-85. I was surprised that Ford wasn't the worst!

Chrysler must not adjust the timing to take advantage of the higher octane and such. I sure hope they steal some powertrain engineers from any of those three as the consistent 7 mpg drop on the highway is unacceptable.

For those interested, you can also look up previous model years on the EPA site. It really is something to consider for those wanting to run it.

I was surprised at what a hog the 3.0 Bluetech diesel is that is in the Grand Cherokee. I am not sure why it is so much worse in that than it is in the equally portly Mercedes E-320 sedan. I wouldn't think that aero would be that much worse. That was what brought me to the site to begin with.

·
*yawn*
2,992 Posts
Neat tool, Grant. Those look like the numbers I'm seeing for my 02 DGC 3.3 (12/16mpg on E85). Maybe a bit better, 1-2mpg, on "good" tanks...

-Jim

·
Registered
367 Posts
A little off the subject, but I was speaking to a guy at Caseys, anyone thats ever been to one knows the higher octane in cheaper.
It seems like a better deal on paper, but this guy said watch the fuel you put in, many are high in ethanol like the higher octane at Caseys, which hurts your fuel economy.

·
1000 Post Club Member
1,985 Posts
GM vehicles use a fuel composition sensor inline with the main fuel line,it constantly senses the ratio of gasoline to ethanol.Its very sophisticated.This must be some of the reason for GMs E85 economy.

·
Vendor
1,469 Posts
Bad driving is accentuated with E85. Cold weather is killer on E85 as well. It is more of a warm weather fuel.

When burning E85 in my Cub Cadet, the intake manifold forms frost on it. High compression and turbos are a perfect match for E85.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts