The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I've got a 2000 Chrysler Grand Voyager SE with the 3.3 Flex fuel engine. The Check Engine Light came on so I pulled the codes using the on-off-on-off-on while holding the Trip and Reset buttons. It gave me a 23 and a 55. According to my Haynes manual that is an Intake Air temp Sensor issue - either a P0112 or P0113.

So now the confusion. I got my code reader back from my brother and pulled the code that way. It gave me a P0401 - EGR System Failure.
I went back to the on-off method to make sure I wasn't dyslexic and it still gave me a 23 and 55.

So which one is it? On-off method or code reader? EGR or IAT? Light beer or regular? :nut: Well, that's where I'm at now since I've cleared the code and there were cold ones in the fridge...

Anyone have insight on this one??

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
What kind of behavior is the engine doing?

Reactions: rym3

·
5000 Club
5,727 Posts
First , everything I've read says the 2000 3.3 ltr engine does not have an Intake Air Temperature Sensor (IAT). I recall this topic coming up many moons ago - how can you get a code 23 when there's no IAT sensor installed? The only answer I ever saw was that code 23 is in fact EGR related. Don't recall specifics though. Maybe you just proved it. What would I do? Head to AutoZone and confirm the P0401 with their scanner. It's free. Two scanners telling you the same thing is hard to argue with. The Answer to Andyg's question may be another clue.

Reactions: rym3

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your replies!
The engine was running rough and the exhaust smelled bad. I was getting horrible gas mileage too.
After clearing the code the engine ran much smoother.

I looked everywhere for the IAT and couldn't find one. So that may explain a lot too. I'll be looking into the EGR system now!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Even tho you can get the 2-digit code from the key dance, I wouldn't always trust it. I think I got the same 23 for mine (2000 DGC), and with a code reader it turned out to be the fan relay, replaced that and code is gone. The 2-digit code is a leftover relic of OBD1 carried thru early OBD2 cars. Newer key dances display the whole code in the odometer, much more accurate.

Hope you get that fixed.

-Andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts