The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Chrysler Town and Country 3.3L FWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like a week or 2 ago we changed the shift solenoid as we have been told it was bad, we went to drive it and it’s stuck in 2nd gear (limp mode) after changing the solenoid. We cleared the computer but the van is still in limp mode. Anyone have any ideas of the problem?

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,123 Posts
You need to get the transmission-specific codes. P1684 merely indicates that the battery had recently been disconnected, and P0700 is a generic transmission fault code.

You might want to verify that the connectors just above the solenoid are clean & tight, ISTR they were a bit touchy when we replaced our solenoid assembly a decade ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had same issue. Installed new Solenoid and was stuck in limp mode. Ran down to Autozone grabbed
one they had in stock, installed and all was well. Returned the first one for refund.

Might be worth a try.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You need to get the transmission-specific codes. P1684 merely indicates that the battery had recently been disconnected, and P0700 is a generic transmission fault code.

You might want to verify that the connectors just above the solenoid are clean & tight, ISTR they were a bit touchy when we replaced our solenoid assembly a decade ago.
We cleared that P1684 and it came back on next start, and also right after we got everything back together from the solenoid replacement there was no codes whatsoever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had same issue. Installed new Solenoid and was stuck in limp mode. Ran down to Autozone grabbed
one they had in stock, installed and all was well. Returned the first one for refund.

Might be worth a try.
What was the brand of the original solenoid if you remember

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

We checked the connectors and no change, also I looked up P1684 and it was saying that the connection to the PCM was interrupted.

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,123 Posts
brand of the original solenoid if you remember
Our replacement solenoid assembly was Borg Warner. I don't recall any markings on the OEM solenoid pack.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
We cleared that P1684 and it came back on next start
just ignore it, my van always reads that code no matter how long it's been since the last battery disconnect

doesn't ever make my CEL come on, just stays in the system

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Our replacement solenoid assembly was Borg Warner. I don't recall any markings on the OEM solenoid pack.
We replaced the OEM one with an ATP, it seems to be something electrical/not with the solenoid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just ignore it, my van always reads that code no matter how long it's been since the last battery disconnect

doesn't ever make my CEL come on, just stays in the system
It throws a CEL on ours

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
your CEL is from P0700
The CEL was on before the computer was throwing a P0700 and only throwing the P1684. Also the P1684 if it is a battery one should go away soon and we shouldn’t have anymore electrical issues as we changed the terminals recently.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts