The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8 L V6
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting a problem that has been posted on this forum in previous years. However, in an earlier post(s), the responses were not to the exact set of conditions as I have.

Here is the problem: within two seconds of starting my 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan, SXT, 3.8 L all of the following instrument cluster warning lights come on and stay on: ESP/BAS light, ABS light, Brake light (red), and Traction Control light. No driving of the vehicle is required for these all to come on. This began as an intermittent problem, i.e. these lights did not come on at every start up, but now it appears to be happening on every startup.

Considering that all of these lights come on without the vehicle moving, I'm hoping someone with experience and knowledge of these systems can eliminate a lot of possible causes and come close to pinpointing the source of the problem.

I do not have a scan tool that will read codes from these modules, and I know having the specific fault code(s) that are set for these systems would narrow down the list of possible cause of the warning lights and the trouble code(s). I'm appealing to those of you who know these systems well and possibly have had exactly the same conditions with the problem.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Need the codes. Could be any number of things, from a bad ABS sensor to a corrupted configuration inside the ABS module.

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
584 Posts
Do the lights go off, or stay on, or off and on. Have you had work done in the wheel areas? Need codes to start - AutoZone can read for you, free. We would just be guessing.

·
Registered
3 x Grand Voyagers - 2008 LX 3.8 petrol. 2008 Limited 2.8 Diesel, 2009 Limited 2.8 Diesel
141 Posts
May I suggest you consider a laptop based diagnostic tool such as Appcar DiagFCA or AlfaOBD. They both need a device that reads your OBD2 and then transmits it via Bluetooth. (easier than cables). I have this and a scan tool and I prefer this setup. I think Appcar DiagFCA is around 40US for each VIN and the reader is about 30(ish). I'm in Australia so prices are different.

Invariably multiple lights end up being either communication (CAN bus) issues or electrical.
Does your horn work?
Does cruise control work?

The clockspring can be the cause of some of the issues but not all of them

Reactions: Sienile

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do the lights go off, or stay on, or off and on. Have you had work done in the wheel areas? Need codes to start - AutoZone can read for you, free. We would just be guessing.
The lights stay on. I was not aware that Autozone would read these manufacturer-specific codes (non OBD-II codes).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
May I suggest you consider a laptop based diagnostic tool such as Appcar DiagFCA or AlfaOBD. They both need a device that reads your OBD2 and then transmits it via Bluetooth. (easier than cables). I have this and a scan tool and I prefer this setup. I think Appcar DiagFCA is around 40US for each VIN and the reader is about 30(ish). I'm in Australia so prices are different.

Invariably multiple lights end up being either communication (CAN bus) issues or electrical.
Does your horn work?
Does cruise control work?

The clockspring can be the cause of some of the issues but not all of them
This morning the lights did not come on when I started the car. I'll post back later when the lights do come on and I can test the horn and the cruise control.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The horn does work when the lights are on. The cruise control turns on when the lights are on, but I haven't actually tested the cruise control to see if it will set at a particular speed.

·
Registered
3 x Grand Voyagers - 2008 LX 3.8 petrol. 2008 Limited 2.8 Diesel, 2009 Limited 2.8 Diesel
141 Posts
OK. Reason I ask is because I believe you need a functioning Clock spring for you EBP/BAS if it's really stuffed, none of the controls work - including the horn. Clockspring sound good

Reactions: Sienile

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Need the codes. Could be any number of things, from a bad ABS sensor to a corrupted configuration inside the ABS module.
My friend loaned me his scan tool that can read the ABS codes. My only code is C2200.
The following is the diagnostic path I found on the internet. Any other advice?

Diagnose C2200 trouble code
Trouble code C2200 indicates an antilock brake module internal failure. The trouble code can be caused by:

• WIRING HARNESS, TERMINAL, CONNECTOR DAMAGE

• FUSED B+ CIRCUIT(S) SHORTED TO GROUND, VOLTAGE, OR OPEN

• GROUND CIRCUIT(S) OPEN

• ANTI-LOCK BRAKE MODULE FAILURE

Disconnect the wiring harness connector at the ABM. Probe pins 1, 8 and 32 for battery power supplied by the TIPM. If you see battery power, check for ground on pins 16 and 47. If you don’t see power or ground, determine the reason before suspecting the ABM. If you do see battery and ground, the ABM is faulty and must be replaced. The new unit must be programmed to the vehicle to operate properly. If you are buying a rebuilt ABM, make sure the rebuilder programs it to your vehicle. If you buy a junkyard module, you will have to pay a shop to program it for you.

C2200 Grand Caravan

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
DTC C2200
Anti-lock Brake Module Internal

Probable Causes
Anti-Lock Brake Module
Fused B+ Circuit(s) Shorted to Ground, Voltage, or Open
Ground Circuit(s) Open
Wiring Harness, Terminal or Connector Damage

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I purchase a new ABS module from my local Chrysler dealer, can the dealer initialize the module (with my vehicle's VIN) before I install it in the car? It seems like this would be a courtesy service that the dealer would provide for my purchase.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
It still needs to be initialized once installed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would love to see a good video of removing the ABS module and replacing it, heard the screws can be a pain to remove

Silliness for you, I have had mine go bad and then be ok again after letting it sit outside in extreme heat or extreme cold. Maybe reflowing the solder????? This has happened every 6 months or so for about 5 years. 2008 Town and Country

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would love to see a good video of removing the ABS module and replacing it, heard the screws can be a pain to remove

Silliness for you, I have had mine go bad and then be ok again after letting it sit outside in extreme heat or extreme cold. Maybe reflowing the solder????? This has happened every 6 months or so for about 5 years. 2008 Town and Country
That is quite interesting and your story may be useful to me. I just heard on a popular call-in mechanic advice show that these ABS modules for this vehicle are on backorder with no projected date of when they will be available. I may end up purchasing a used one. Is there an option with reinitializing a used module? How difficult is it to initialize/reprogram a used one?

·
Registered
68 Posts
That is quite interesting and your story may be useful to me. I just heard on a popular call-in mechanic advice show that these ABS modules for this vehicle are on backorder with no projected date of when they will be available. I may end up purchasing a used one. Is there an option with reinitializing a used module? How difficult is it to initialize/reprogram a used one?
I have seen services for you sending your old one to the service and have it rebuilt/fixed. That way no initializing it back to your car. And you can drive car while it is off as you have no ABS when you have the error codes anyway. I just have not ventured to remove it myself.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have seen services for you sending your old one to the service and have it rebuilt/fixed. That way no initializing it back to your car. And you can drive car while it is off as you have no ABS when you have the error codes anyway. I just have not ventured to remove it myself.
Can you provide the names of any of those service companies?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am posting a problem that has been posted on this forum in previous years. However, in an earlier post(s), the responses were not to the exact set of conditions as I have.

Here is the problem: within two seconds of starting my 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan, SXT, 3.8 L all of the following instrument cluster warning lights come on and stay on: ESP/BAS light, ABS light, Brake light (red), and Traction Control light. No driving of the vehicle is required for these all to come on. This began as an intermittent problem, i.e. these lights did not come on at every start up, but now it appears to be happening on every startup.

Considering that all of these lights come on without the vehicle moving, I'm hoping someone with experience and knowledge of these systems can eliminate a lot of possible causes and come close to pinpointing the source of the problem.

I do not have a scan tool that will read codes from these modules, and I know having the specific fault code(s) that are set for these systems would narrow down the list of possible cause of the warning lights and the trouble code(s). I'm appealing to those of you who know these systems well and possibly have had exactly the same conditions with the problem.
Check your Power Distribution Box (fuse box) my 2013 GC was acting similar, found corrosion on relays and fuses a good cleaning fixed problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I doubt this new information makes any difference in the diagnosis, but now the lights do not necessarily come on immediately upon startup. I may have to drive a short distance (less than 0.1 mile) before the lights come on. And as before, sometimes I can go for a short trip (2 miles) and the lights never come on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts