The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Routan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, i drove the van to a brewery with no issues. When i left, the van would only engage the starter for a half second then stop. Tried several times with the same result. Noticed the ETC light on the dash so i checked the owner's manual to see what it means. Most of the info was about when the car is in motion but i saw a blurb about the gear shift so i put the van in neutral and it started right up. Drove the van to our next destination and a few hours later, it started up in park no problem so i thought it was just a fluke. Then this morning, it happened again before work and again it started fine in neutral.

Doing research, this problem seems to have many possible solutions. I'm trying to figure out which route i should go.

·
Registered
2010 Routan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Had the battery and charging system tested at O'Reilly's. Alternator puts out 14+ volts but they said the battery tested bad. I'm always skeptical but the battery is 5 years old. When i tested it at home, it's resting voltage is 12.75. During start up, it dropped down to 11 but I'm not surprised considering the load. Going to test again in the morning to see if there is a voltage drop.

·
Registered
400 Posts
As the battery is 5 years old, my inclination is to replace it.The battery needs to be tested after the engine not running for at least 20 minutes to allow any surface charge to dissipate. This is only a quick test and only measures voltage and not the capacity of the battery to hold a charge.

A weak or failing cell may not show up on first start of the day but later after exposed to the heat of the engine compartment. It is possible there is a poor/corroded connection in either the power or ground wiring.

·
Registered
2010 Routan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yesterday, i took the battery to Pacific Power where I've purchased several batteries in the past and trust them. Unlike O'Reilly's, their tester actually gives numbered results (not just pass or fail). After sitting over night, it's still pushing out 700+ CCA and tested good on their machine. Next step, i cleaned up all the battery connections, including the cable to the fuse block. I only found mild corrosion but it's all shiny now and protected with dialectic grease. We drove to several places yesterday and never had an issue. I forgot to check the body ground connections so I'll do that as well but hopefully it's "resolved".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts