The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
fix it if you can
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking through a bunch of old threads on steel rims, there doesn't seem to be any conclusive evidence that even 4th gen 15" steelies fit the 4-disk brake versions of these vans..

So if you have them on your van, or have seen a van with 15" steel rims, I'd appreciate a confirmation that they do fit or if you tried them on and found otherwise a confirmation that they don't..
(and I'm not talking about spacers / adapters here!)

Thanks

·
Registered
430 Posts
Can't say I've ever seen a 4wheel disc 4g van with steel (15") wheels. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the calipers on the front of the 4 wheel disc are too large to fit under a 15" rim, and at a quick glance the rear rotor looks about the same size as the front rotor on the disc/drum 4g vans.

If it means anything, My spare is a 16" steel wheel, but I assume you're looking to have lower cost tires.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Me, me, I have one! I have one!! I promise I do!!!

It's a 2003 LX. I bought it when it was one year old. It had power seats, second row buckets, split rear seats, and best of all, rear disks.

It had sat on the lot for 6-months, and was a former rental. When I bought it, it was a real good deal.

·
fix it if you can
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't say I've ever seen a 4wheel disc 4g van with steel (15") wheels. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the calipers on the front of the 4 wheel disc are too large to fit under a 15" rim, and at a quick glance the rear rotor looks about the same size as the front rotor on the disc/drum 4g vans.

If it means anything, My spare is a 16" steel wheel, but I assume you're looking to have lower cost tires.
From what I've read and seen (but not yet tried), the 15" rim is not the problem (caliper should fit), it's the way the stamped mounting "plate" is formed and welded to the rim that causes clearance problems...

I don't know what size my spare is.. (really doesn't matter.. it's a compact, as the fold in floor seating makes that the only choice...) Yours should be same size as your road wheels since you have AWD and it will not go down well if someone was to drive it with different size wheel&tire for any length of time..

As for reason, I was looking around for what rims would fit for a set of winter tires... the Bridgestome WeatherHandler Plus (or whatever they're called) are a total loss for winter driving (esp. on dirt roads that don't get salted down..)

·
fix it if you can
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Me, me, I have one! I have one!! I promise I do!!!

It's a 2003 LX. I bought it when it was one year old. It had power seats, second row buckets, split rear seats, and best of all, rear disks.

It had sat on the lot for 6-months, and was a former rental. When I bought it, it was a real good deal.
Were the 4-disk brakes a factory option on yours? What I'm trying to get at is, how sure are you that your front rotors & calipers are the larger 4-disk variety..?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't know if this is Old news, but the Ford Mustang GT 1999-2004 15 inch steel wheels fit no problem. 16 inchers are rare as hens teeth, but out there too!
Yes, it's a rear drive car, but the center hole and bolt pattern, and most important, the caliper clearance and offset are good to go.
I have them on my '02 G.C., disc/drum, but tried them on a pals T&C, no problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
15" steel rims

My 05 GC has 4 wheel disc brakes & 15" steel rims. The tires that came with it are 215/70/15s (with a load index of 98 - difficult to find in my experience). Found an identical set of the rims online which I've put winter tires on, usually run those from Dec-March in this area.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
To answer your question, my 2003 was purchased used in 2004. I never gave the brake size a thought, as when I replaced the pad they always ask whether you have 4-wheel disks.

You could go on Rockauto, plug in 4-wheel disks and write down the part number, then plug in 2-wheel disks and do the same thing.

If you're changing your brake pads, I'd recommend Akebono. I have them front and rear, and no dust!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts