The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I drive a 2003 GC Sport and my air conditioner seems to make an CRAZY amount of condensation whether it is turned on or NOT. Is this normal?:confused:
It's been doing it all summer. I've checked the fluid on the ground and it's just water. Not washer fluid, not coolant, not any kind of oil/lubricant. The A/C works great it's definitely not leaking it's magic cooling juice anywhere.

This water's coming out from (roughly) behind the front passenger wheel.
By CRAZY amount, here's an example: If I drive for about 3 hours straight (working) and don't even use the A/C then I park the van for about 20 mins i'll have a puddle about the size of a sheet of computer paper. Parked for an hour? Maybe the length and width of a bed pillow....:Wow1:
That's a lot of water.

Again... is this normal? :eekkkk:

Thanks,
Lennon

·
Registered
259 Posts
If the humidity is high I get the same amount, but only when I am using it lol. If you have your climate control set to defrost, the A/C is on all the time. It dries the air, so the windsheild defrosts faster.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wait, step back here....

If it's on defrost the A/C is on all the time? :confused:
How can something that makes condensation actually dry out the air?

And aside from that actually, I keep it set on panel and feet just to keep air moving, not on defrost. I only use defrost when I need some heat in the van.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Condensation

Wait, step back here....

And aside from that actually, I keep it set on panel and feet just to keep air moving, not on defrost. I only use defrost when I need some heat in the van.
It is a simple law of physics. As you cool moist air and the resultant air temp drops below the dewpoint ,liquid water is the result. Drying interior air via the A/C insures better window defogging.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Your A/C must be on all the time for some reason.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a simple law of physics. As you cool moist air and the resultant air temp drops below the dewpoint ,liquid water is the result. Drying interior air via the A/C insures better window defogging.
Ok well that makes sense about the drying of air but does the A/C automatically come on when I just have air coming through the front of the dash? :ask_wsign That to me doesn't make sense to me. I've never heard of a self-deciding air conditioner and the only time the light on the A/C button comes on is when I push it myself. If the A/C is on shouldn't that light come on?

Your A/C must be on all the time for some reason.
That's what I suspected but It doesn't seem to be. I can feel the engine revs drop a bit when I turn it on so I know it's not on all the time. Yet it's creating condensation as though it IS on all the time. Weirdness.

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
Ok well that makes sense about the drying of air but does the A/C automatically come on when I just have air coming through the front of the dash? :ask_wsign That to me doesn't make sense to me. I've never heard of a self-deciding air conditioner and the only time the light on the A/C button comes on is when I push it myself. If the A/C is on shouldn't that light come on?
Only if you command it to be on. If the system commands it to be on (such as when you use any defrost setting), the A/C system will be engaged but the light will not come on.

I would NOT expect anything to be dripping from the system if:

1) Your mode selector is in a vent or floor position (and not in ANY defrosting position);
2) Your A/C light is not on; and,
3) Your rear system is set to off.

It may be that the rear system is coming on somehow. If you have the rear fan speed on the front control unit set to "rear", I believe that the rear unit, if set to a cold temperature, can command the A/C system to be on, even if you haven't specifically commanded the A/C to come on by pressing the front button.

Does that make sense?

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,511 Posts
Open the hood and have someone start the car, does the front part of the AC pump turn or sit still? The clutch should turn and stop turning if it is cycling. If not, the clutch will just sit still. The old 1990 GC you could defeat the ac running during defrost by pulling the push button OUT after you push it in. I don't know how this AC is laid out, but in all cars with ac, it runs during defrost. The fact that it works is from the puddles, if the ac condenses that much water from the air, it is now dryer by that much, that much water can go back into this air now and it will dry your windshield that much faster. I live in FLA and we always have lots of condensation under the car. You have not mentioned if you are parking level or on incline. If pointed up, some water will remain in the box until you level out, ac or not. I would check the little rubber nipple on the firewall to be sure it is not partially stuck together or clogged with mold. If so, the water will back up and run out only when you are stopped long enough to let it come out the little hole in the nipple. Squeeze the tip and see if water gushes out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I checked to see if the A/C is always running... and it's not. Seems to just drain reaaaallllyy slow.
TCwagner1 >> you asked if i'm level or on an incline?? Level when parked around my house, always.
I also looked for this rubber nipple you spoke of to see if it was clogged and couldn't find the darned thing. I think I found the A/C drain hose but I'm not exactly sure. Would this nipple be under the cowl vent? do I have to take that off to find it?

·
Latent car nut
9,273 Posts
Wait, step back here....

Yes, if the defroster is on then the A/C system is on as well, errr, at least until the outside air temperature drops down near freezing. FWIW, virtually every car I've had over the last twenty some years has had this "automatic" feature that engages the A/C when the defroster is selected, and that includes cars built in Japan, the United States, and Germany.

As for the physics of the situation, the A/C system doesn't "make" condensation, it extracts water from the air, "drying" it in the process (warm moist air flowing over a cool surface will effectively dump a huge percentage of its moisture as it cools), and routes the extracted water to the condensation drain that drips water onto the ground in front of the front-seat passenger footwell.

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,511 Posts
There is a current post that has a picture of the type of tube you are looking for, it is "ac evaporator leaks water into cabin". If you get under the passenger side and look up the firewall, you should be able to see, use a light and look for where the water is coming out, or feel for it about a foot or 18" from the side of the car maybe 2 feet up from the bottom of the firewall. . It is a rubber L that has a slit end on it usually. Squeeze the end open and if water gushes out, it may be sticking together from algae or bugs using it for a home.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry about the serious delay in my reply here...

I've done all the recommended things here and had my mechanic check it out. Turns out that in my van "exessive AC condensation" is actually normal. Helps cause mould build up though. :(

Thanks for your advice guys.

·
gone.
117 Posts
Does your van have climate control or manual A/C? My van has the trizone climate control and I can confirm the A/C compressor is always engaged even when the A/C switch is off. Haven't bothered to study the system to figure out how it actually works, it does so it's all good.

·
Bewildered
378 Posts
Bringing a thread back from the dead, don't shoot! :ask_wsign:

Our '03 has been dropping massive amounts of water to the ground, more than previous summers. It has the manual tri zone HVAC with rear controls Although, what has changed is our geography this year is moved from middle NC to the lower middle of AL back in March. The heat here is a little more potent than what we're used to. We're using the A/C just as much now as we did in NC. If you let the engine idle with A/C on for just a small period of time in one spot, you thought it just had washing when looking at the ground by the passenger door. One thing we have noticed at the same time, the mileage has dropped considerably. When 19-20mpg with mixed driving was the norm, we're currently experiencing 16-17mpg after a recent tune-up. :confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts