The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I confirmed by flex pipe is leaking, but its connected to the catalytic converter. Rock auto wants $220 plus shipping for WALKER Part # 16187 and there is nothing wrong with the converter!!

Any ideas for a cheaper fix? Is there any way around the expensive part? Yes, I can live with the leak but boy is it annoying.

Registered
It's at the very front of the van right? On that curve going up the engine? i would like mine fixed as well, and I was thinking if you cut that part out and weld a new part in would be better than replacing it for such a price.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure, but what are you going to replace it with? It's called a "flex pipe" for a reason. Is it just a pipe or is there material in it that allow it to "flex" from the manifold to the converter?

Registered
Advance auto parts sells flex pipes that will fit-had same problem on 2000 Grand Voyager,just cut out old flex pipe with cutting disc on air powered cut-off tool,and installed the one from Advance.
That was a while back-wife has the van right now,if you need more info-such as was it done with just clamps,or did I weld anything,I can let you know after 5pm,as I'll be working on van this evening anyhow-radiator is shot-putting new one in.

Super Moderator

Registered
Sure, but what are you going to replace it with? It's called a "flex pipe" for a reason. Is it just a pipe or is there material in it that allow it to "flex" from the manifold to the converter?
Another flex pipe. Just cut the old one out and weld a new one in. Thats what we did with the Sunfire when it had a bad flex pipe.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow awesome feedback! Money saving! So I would need to cut the original part at the catalytic and at the manifold?

Registered
wow awesome feedback! Money saving! So I would need to cut the original part at the catalytic and at the manifold?
Pretty much. Just cut that sucker out and weld in the new sucker.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A sucker ? hmmm.....you sure?
Looks scary... :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yeah, your right, scary indeed! Cut at the wrong point and your still out allot of cash!! I'm going to check with my wife's uncle who is a retired shop foreman first.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found this video which is not in English, performed on a Ford Escape. The guys still unbolt the pipe from the manifold, allowing them to cut the end close to the engine on the bench and re-weld the same end on the bench.

Any reason why this approach would not work on a caravan?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
okay - got off the phone with my wives Uncle (retired shop foreman) and he refuses to do the job! Not enough room between the flanges to do a good job welding! He did recommend going to an auto shop that specializes in exhaust work to see if they will do it, but said he would not be happy with his own work.

Registered
This is sounding more and more like a challenge! Let me know what the auto shops say, I may call a few up myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.