The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Chrysler Town & Country LXi AWD
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm surprised no one has posted about this yet (on here at least) but the Pacifica has all-LED taillights in some export markets whose new-car lighting laws follow those of Europe. These markets include at least China and Russia. Vans sold in these market have, of course, rear fog lights (just a couple incandescent units where US DOT spec vans would just have passive reflectors), amber rear side markers instead of red, auto-leveling headlights with E-Code beam patterns/intensity and standard side turn signal repeaters.

However, to get amber rear turn signals on the rear of the Pacifica, FCA started with the units used on trims above Touring (those with the LED outer running lights), took the space occupied by a single incandescent bulb for both brake and turn signal functions on US DOT models and replaced it with two rows of LEDs: one red for brake on top; amber for turn signal on the bottom. I don't know if these taillights were available since the Pacifica's introduction or if they were introduced later since I don't know when they began to sell them in those markets.

Even though I don't own or plan to buy a Pacifica, it saddens me to see how in many markets, the most expensive top-of-the-line Pacificas come with taillights that I consider cheap, while even the base model has fancier taillights in others. I hope FCA brings these taillights to all markets in the mid-cycle refresh, even if it's just going to be for some trim levels (personally, I would like to see the current LX/touring units be used on the LX only, the current ones used on trims above Touring be used on the Touring and Touring-L, while the Hybrid and anything above that gets these all-LEDs).

The pic below shows these all-LED taillights (along with the rear fogs) on a Chinese-market van, while they're shown in action in this Russian review video.

In the meantime, these (along with the headlights and rear fogs) just remain as something to retrofit, for those who really want to (I can see them, along with the rear amber side markers, being useful retrofits for those looking to export DOT spec vans to Europe and other regions. Maybe this retrofit would also take off like it did with 4th gens back in the day?). I wonder if they're just plug/play/program or require physical wiring changes...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Minivan Motor vehicle

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
In markets that allow for incandescent bulbs like ours, automakers probably save a couple bucks per vehicle or something like that. I think there might be two versions of Pacifica taillights in the US market, depending on trim level. One with an LED element around the perimeter maybe? I haven't looked at them too close recently.

·
Super Moderator
6,507 Posts
Good find.

I really wish that separate, amber rear turn signals were mandated here in North America.

For my Cherokee, I have amber rear turn signals, but they are a switchback LED, so they over-rule my rear brake lights. The Euro versions have identical rear turn signals, only they split the rear lights, so that the bottom is always the rear amber turn signal, and the top is always the brake lights.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think there might be two versions of Pacifica taillights in the US market, depending on trim level. One with an LED element around the perimeter maybe?
Yes, there are. I mentioned them in my post. The ones with the LED elements are found on Touring-L and higher trims on the straight gas vans. Not sure about the hybrids.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For my Cherokee, I have amber rear turn signals, but they are a switchback LED, so they over-rule my rear brake lights.
The newest Rams with LED tails have the same setup and I don't like it at all because trucks with incandescent tails have a better setup (separate amber turn and red brake). I would not pay more to get what I consider a downgrade. However, if FCA decides to bring all-LED tails to the Pacifica eventually and go with this setup instead of what exists today, I wouldn't actually mind since it would still be an upgrade over the red incandescent brake/turn combo.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
i and a few others have swapped the rear lights on our 4th gen vans to be the euro ones and have interest in the LED chinese ones

good to see people are doing this even on the new ones, the export vans always get the best stuff

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i and a few others have swapped the rear lights on our 4th gen vans to be the euro ones and have interest in the LED chinese ones

good to see people are doing this even on the new ones, the export vans always get the best stuff
I'm not sure if anyone has attempted the Pacifica mod yet but I have read through your posts about converting the 4th gen. I'm trying to figure out how to convert a 3rd gen and so far, I have determined that it's possible to get the euro tails partially working on one (everything but rear fogs) just by rearranging some wires. Also, by "the LED Chinese ones," do you mean the ones we're discussing here or the units with LED tail/brake lights found on Chinese 4th gen Grand Voyagers and Taiwanese T&Cs?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone has attempted the Pacifica mod yet but I have read through your posts about converting the 4th gen. I'm trying to figure out how to convert a 3rd gen and so far, I have determined that it's possible to get the euro tails partially working on one (everything but rear fogs) just by rearranging some wires.
this is very true, the plug just comes apart

non euro vans have no wiring for the fog lights, although you can jump them to work in tandem with the brake lights

Also, by "the LED Chinese ones," do you mean the ones we're discussing here or the units with LED tail/brake lights found on Chinese 4th gen Grand Voyagers and Taiwanese T&Cs?
im talking about the 4th gen ones like this

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is very true, the plug just comes apart

non euro vans have no wiring for the fog lights, although you can jump them to work in tandem with the brake lights

im talking about the 4th gen ones like this

So they were the Chinese/Taiwanese ones I was referring to. I actually found them on eBay and I'm confused. From the back, there appears to be a bulb in the brake/tail light section which is supposedly LED. I don't think they accidentally put up a picture of the back of a standard taillight since the listing for that shows a different back that seems to be the same as what your van currently has.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
So they were the Chinese/Taiwanese ones I was referring to. I actually found them on eBay and I'm confused. From the back, there appears to be a bulb in the brake/tail light section which is supposedly LED. I don't think they accidentally put up a picture of the back of a standard taillight since the listing for that shows a different back that seems to be the same as what your van currently has.
they're really confusing and hard to find

so far i've only ever seen this confirmed listing and its $400 for ONE side

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fit...ght-Tail-Turning-Signal-Lamp/32952373830.html

the chinese ones distinctively have that led pattern on the brakes so if it doesn't look like that i wouldn't try it, they're probably just selling european reproduction ones or something funky

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they're really confusing and hard to find

so far i've only ever seen this confirmed listing and its $400 for ONE side

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fit...ght-Tail-Turning-Signal-Lamp/32952373830.html

the chinese ones distinctively have that led pattern on the brakes so if it doesn't look like that i wouldn't try it, they're probably just selling european reproduction ones or something funky
The same lights were used in Taiwan when the T&C was being made there so maybe it's possible to find used units there. Seems like too much of a risk to buy new ones at this price when the fronts look like LEDs but the backs don't.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bumping - found this while looking at a TYC catalogue, might be helpful if anyone wants to buy.

Reactions: Baron

·
Registered
2 Posts
It looks there are original Chrysler tail lamps with yellow blinkers and you can find used on ebay:

or new from Mopar:

However they are 5pin connector tail lights and they won't be plug and play as the original US tails are with 3pin plug, so some additional works will be needed.
I'm just not sure if they are with fog lights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It looks there are original Chrysler tail lamps with yellow blinkers and you can find used on ebay:
View attachment 63355

or new from Mopar:
View attachment 63356

However they are 5pin connector tail lights and they won't be plug and play as the original US tails are with 3pin plug, so some additional works will be needed.
I'm just not sure if they are with fog lights.
Just an update to this:
Bought used from ebay and already put it in the vehicle.
For the new connector I've used ones from Ford Mondeo MK5/Fusion MK2 from outer back taillights. Had to change pin locations, but it fits perfectly :)
With Appcar DiagFCA – diagnostic tool – Jeep, Chrysler, Dodge, Ram combined rear stop and turn lamps were switched off.
Tried to plug into BCM for turn lights, but it didn't work out, so had to connect to the front turn light cables.
Now i'm thinking that probably needed to change the region of the car to activate the pins in BCM, but everything is already connected, so will not find out :)
Will post a video later of new taillights in action.

Next project: OEM rear fog lights :)
Rectangle Font Circle Screenshot Brand

1 - 14 of 14 Posts