The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2019 GC GT from a local dealer. It was a prior rental car with 39k miles. On the test drive I noticed a slight thumping noise at low speeds (less than 40 mph), but wasn't concerned as it was cold and car had been sitting on the lot for quite a while. After taking delivery the sound remained so researching the issue here and elsewhere, everything pointed to the rear shocks. I removed the shocks (do yourself a favor and remove the wheels, easier to re-install and properly torque - 61 ft-lbs top and 70 bottom.) and found the left rear to be pretty much dead. It would not rebound from full compression and would stick over the range of movement. I purchased the recommended KYB 349225 shocks at half the price of the factory 68138247AF shock, roughly $40 vs. $80 each.

You can see how much more robust the factory shock is - thicker housing and heavier duty attachments. The factory units are "Made in USA," while the KYBs are from Japan. After installing the KYBs I went for a test drive. Initially the sound decreased and was gone by 30 mph v. 40 mph. By the time I'd driven four miles and the shocks had cycled over different road surfaces, the noise was absent at all speeds. I'm not sure why the factory units tend to fail prematurely. It's possible that the larger size rubber isolators in the attaching eyes allow more lateral flex and horizontal loads that stress the piston assembly, but otherwise they look beefy enough to last for 100k or more miles.

·
Latent car nut
9,235 Posts
Having a factory rear shock fail with so few miles is unusual; of our four vans, all of which surpassed 200,000 miles, only one needed rear shocks, and even then, not because the ride had degraded. So why did they need to be replaced at "only" 150,000 miles? Rust.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,435 Posts
Replaced mine with Monroe SensaTracs at pretty similar mileage due to excessive rear sway. Also a previous rental, bought at 33k. I think I killed the OEMs by exceeding the tow rating. Hauled an entire apartment's worth of furniture in a single trip. Interior, roof rack, and trailer were all maxed out. Think that was also the trip that bent my trailer axle. :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts