The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I have a 2009 dodge GCV:

I learned late last year that BT audio streaming is available on 2011+ vans, and I was instantly drawn to this because most of the music I play is from my phone which is paired to the Uconnect system as well.

So anyway, I swapped out to a newer Uconnect module which supports auto streaming (my module is from a 2013 van). I also tested a few 2011+ radios with the Uconnect feature as well as a few different Uconnect modules.

The system recognizes the BT audio streaming function, and I can select it in the radio menu. However when it plays BT, it plays for a second or 2 then cuts out for a second or 2, then plays again and so on in an endless cycle. It is to take note I can hit seek on the radio and it wirelessly communicates to my phone and it moves to the next song, so the communication is in fact working. In fact everything works flawlessly except the BT audio streaming which is the item I want most.

So I'm a bit puzzled as to why it isn't working. It does also sometimes display a "Remote Allow" Message but that only stays on the screen for a split second then disappears. And on my phone it displays the normal BT audio output notification which also displays audio settings there. I tried 3 different devices, and all of them have the same issue.

After many failed attempts I gave up on the project last year but I want this feature to be complete if I can. Is this a programming issue that simply the pre 2011 vans computer system just doesn't accept BT streaming or have I done something wrong/am missing something? I checked pin out sheets from a dealership and I can confirm all the wiring is in fact the same and correct. And I found nothing in either appcar FCA or alfa OBD that would enable BT audio streaming.

Any ideas or suggestions or ideas?

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Grand Voyager Limited
262 Posts
Id love to see a CANdump of the data when this is "running".

When I was playing with working out how to put my headunit into "phone" mode the command sent to the headunit needed to be sent ever second ( i think) I just cant find that detail in my notes ATM and if you didnt send it at the required period the headunit would switch back to radio (or whatever mode was previously in).

I might be wrong but It sounds like the uconnect is not sending the streaming data stay connected message at the right rate for your headunit. There may not be anyway to change it (easily)

If you could get a dump of the CAN bus data. Just seeing that it does put it into a "streaming" mode is pretty cool - I was just planning on fudging mine and making the headunit go into phone mode and not worry about the nicesties of controls and the right icon. Ive posted some of my notes up here DIY Uconnect

·
Super Moderator
6,545 Posts
FWIW, the uConnect in my parent's van (with factory BT streaming) shows that "Remote Allow" message for a split second too.

Have you only tried the audio streaming from your devices with one app, or a variety of apps? (Just in case it's an app specific issue)

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Id love to see a CANdump of the data when this is "running".

When I was playing with working out how to put my headunit into "phone" mode the command sent to the headunit needed to be sent ever second ( i think) I just cant find that detail in my notes ATM and if you didnt send it at the required period the headunit would switch back to radio (or whatever mode was previously in).

I might be wrong but It sounds like the uconnect is not sending the streaming data stay connected message at the right rate for your headunit. There may not be anyway to change it (easily)

If you could get a dump of the CAN bus data. Just seeing that it does put it into a "streaming" mode is pretty cool - I was just planning on fudging mine and making the headunit go into phone mode and not worry about the nicesties of controls and the right icon. Ive posted some of my notes up here DIY Uconnect
I don't have the Raspeberry PI or the MCP2515 CAN bus interface you mention, I'll try looking around and finding some units. It's interesting because I tested the unit for at least 30 minutes, hoping the issue would go away but it stayed, and the radio hadn't switched modes, it stayed in BT streaming mode.

Do you know if AlfaOBD can do something similar? Since I can save data and record data I should in theory be able to also read the data no?

FWIW, the uConnect in my parent's van (with factory BT streaming) shows that "Remote Allow" message for a split second too.

Have you only tried the audio streaming from your devices with one app, or a variety of apps? (Just in case it's an app specific issue)
Seems that "remote allow" message isn't a part of my issue then! I can narrow down my search and look for something else.

I tried Youtube and music sorted on the device itself through the music apps on those devices. I seemed to be having the same issue, I will ask someone I know to try another RBZ radio (this one will be a 2013 unit), and hopefully the issue goes away.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ive mid undertood your fault. I was thinking your headunit was dropping out of streaming mode but rereading your discriptikn sounds more like the audio just stops and starts - which seems to indicate a buffering issue which would be in the Bluetooth implementation/settings - possibly to high a data rate.
The phones you are using are they newer or older units?

Ive not tried OBD11 applications for capturing raw data I will have to look into it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just been looking into buffering issues with Bluetooth and noted some suggestions to turn off WiFi (on your phone) when Bluetooth streaming. Just something easy to try.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The phones you are using are they newer or older units?
I tried both newer and older phones, I currently use a Samsung S9, but I tried a friends Xperia X performance and a S7.

Just been looking into buffering issues with Bluetooth and noted some suggestions to turn off WiFi (on your phone) when Bluetooth streaming. Just something easy to try.
Thank you, I will give this a try!

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey everyone, I'd like to update the thread.

I got a 2016 RBZ radio and when I plugged it in, it did the same thing as the old RBZ unit did. It plays, then stops, then plays. However, one thing I hadn't mentioned was this cycle isn't exactly regular and consistent.

It plays different lengths of time without stopping, one time it could be a split second, another it could be a second, another it could be half a second, another it could be 10 seconds. It's very random and inconsistent. So this tells me the system wants to play the BT audio streaming mode, but something is restricting it.

I had a 2011 Uconnect module which had the BT streaming capability. It had the same issue in my van, but after installing it into someone's 2013 van, it worked flawlessly.

I'm beginning to suspect a CAN system incompatibility of some kind, after all BT streaming was not offered in these vans until 2011.

What confuses me the most is the CAN system makes one big loop, so, shouldn't the module be communicating with the radio and the radio back to the module? I'm really debating going to pick and pull and get the 2014 module, but I suspect the issue will stay the same.

I tried this today and it made no difference. I tried several devices with no difference. Makes me wonder, maybe the 2009 CAN system TIPM isn't coded to recognize the BT audio streaming and newer vehicles are? I have a 2013 Uconnect high speed module, and now a 2016 radio to go with it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The CAN buss is “multi drop” a pair of wires and each device “taps” in with out braking the connectivity of the bus. So each device that sends data can be received by any other device. Two devices don’t explicitly communicate with each other.
The TIPM sends out a turn on signal (it could be turn on everything or turn on radio ) everything on the network hears the message and acts accordingly.

A capture of the CAN data would show up what is going on but there is a lot going on the bus, it was around 100 messages a second from memory. So it is a lot to sift through.
Then work out what is normal traffic then what happens when then phone is on and making a call and then what happens when streaming music.

I’m wondering if the uconnect module needs different “heart beat” messages from the TIPM one tells the phone to stay on and a separate code to tell the streaming to stay on. Which comes back to your earlier comments about it been an option to set for TIPM.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey all, I thought I'd update this tread here.

So today i got around to testing a 2014 caravan which I have added the amplified infinity system to a few weeks back. While I was testing other things, I decided to try the BT audio streaming in that van. We used a 2013 BT streaming compatible radio and also a 2014 module, just out of curiosity for the test.

Annnnddddd it clipped exactly like mine did! So we got to investigating, we took the radio partially out and tested the amp feeds from the back of the radio by tapping into the wires and attaching a small speaker to the circuit. And with the system playing, we got to hear what the sound the radio sends out to the amp is and also the sound coming from the amp itself.

The sound coming from the radio itself to the tapped in speaker was exactly how it should be, not clipped and smooth. The sound coming from the amp was clipped.

This leads me to the next clue and likely the solution to my problem for the BT streaming, the amplifier itself. The amp installed in my van use to be a 2009 amp, now it's a 2008 amp and the one I installed into the 2014 was a 2008 also. I have yet to get my hands on a 2011 or newer amp, all the ones I've seen were 2008 and 2009, I have not seen a 2010 van with the infinity system there just yet.

Since everything else works perfectly for the infinity system, the BT streaming mode may not be recognized by the amp since it was not designed to run with the bt streaming mode, so it clips because it doesn't know what to do with this signal. A software update would be the way to go, or trying out a newer amp. Remember the streaming was a feature available for 2011 and newer vans.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you play a CD does it sound right - or is it clipping/distorting also?

Apart from the clipping does the BT sound level sound right? or is it louder as well?
When playing a cd it sounds exactly like it should, the only clipping the system does it with the BT streaming, which I know has something to do with the amplifier.

After connecting a small speaker on the back of the radio (the amp feed and return lines), the sound was perfect and not clipped in either of the lines from the radio and to the amplifier. The volume level (I stuck with 17 on the radio) stayed consistent between all the modes including a cd, AUX, AM and FM, and of course BT streaming. And the feed from the radio is smooth and not clipped in either of these modes, but after getting processed by the amplifier, BT streaming mode is consistently clipped.

BT streaming was a feature available 2011 and newer, and the only component of the audio system which is not 2011 or newer is the amp, made in 2009. And after hearing that the audio from the radio which feeds the amp is perfect, I'm near confident the amp needs to recognize the BT streaming mode.

So the solution will be either an amplifier flash for a newer version which includes the BT streaming capability, or a newer amp which is from a 2011 or newer vehicle.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright, time to update this thread for the last time!

To recap, I'm trying to add BT audio to my 2009 Dodge caravan, and BT streaming was not an option until 2011 so the software is non existent in my van for it originally. But since the BT is taken care of by the radio and Uconnect module, I have upgraded to a 2016 RBZ radio in place of my 2009 REN, and also upgraded the Uconnect module from 2009 to a 2013 module. Both of these have BT streaming capability since it was added in 2011.

However, I had a consistent problem that the BT audio was clipping in streaming mode, and only in streaming mode. Every other radio mode worked perfectly. I tried different radios, and different Uconnect modules all to no avail. But, I did try the feeds from the radio to the factory amplifier I added to my van some time before this project. And the sound was perfect coming from the radio, but after the amplifier processed the sound, it became clipped.

So I've been searching for a 2011 or newer amplifier. And today I found an amplifier from a 2011 Dodge Durango at a salvage yard and decided to give it a shot and try see if it fixes my clipping issue. I am aware it is from a different vehicle line, but the Durango is a high speed CAN just like our vans, and after a pinout check on the connection repair kit, every wire matched between my amp and the Durango's amp.

After plugging it in, I got sound from all speakers, and most of all, the BT audio streaming mode works perfectly! So now, my 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan has the BT streaming that I've been after for... half a year now?

I am keeping the Durango amp in my van until I find a 2011 or newer van with the premium amplifier, it actually sounds better to my ears so I may just end up keeping it in my van forever.
Personal luxury car Gadget Font Display device Vehicle

The new amplifier, supposedly "alpine" opposed to "Infinity". Both amplifiers are 506 watt and have the same number of channels, including the surround sound and dual coil sub. Speaker locations are almost identical too, excluding the rear door speakers which sit in the rear quarter panels in these vans.
Audio equipment Electronic instrument Font Gas Electronic device

The new amp mounted to the infinity amp bracket(To hold it in place), everything lined up perfectly. The original Infinity amp is actually silver, this one is all black.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Bumper

1 - 16 of 16 Posts