The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
youtube.com/sideburns2009
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to changing my solenoid pack as I've had an occasional awkward shift and I can hear the solenoid pack sounding like its on the virge of death trying to buzz. The new one will be quieter anyway FWIW. One question, I didn't reuse the seperator plate....but is it necessary to put the rubber cover back on? I think it was just a sound damper and shouldnt be needed on the revised solenoid pack. The pack I bought was a Borg-Warner from Oreilly. $178 USD...better than my local dealers $225. I've read somewhere that Borg-Warner is Chrysler's supplier for their solenoid pack but I haven't confirmed it.

I also plan on taking my old one apart. Why? Because that is my hobby. Taking things apart, seeing exactly how they work, and putting it back together. :biggrin: I'll probably take pics for anyone who is interested in seeing what's inside. (probably not much)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah, we LOVE pics...........:thumb:

Whole install if you can. I'm sure I will be doing that repair sometime soon.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
The rubber cover is only for noise and not needed with the new pack. Too bad you didn't ask around here as ALL solenoid packs are made by borg warner. I get mine new off of ebay for less than $100

·
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, we LOVE pics...........:thumb:

Whole install if you can. I'm sure I will be doing that repair sometime soon.
Normally with something like this, I'll take pics of the install but I didn't think about it.It is VERY easy though....like easier than changing the transmission fluid and filter type of easy. I can tell you what to do if you have any questions. :thumb: But as soon as I get a chance...real soon...I'm going to take apart the solenoid pack and take pics. I've always wanted to.

Oh and btw, no more weird shifts, clunks, shudders whatever it was doing and NO MORE BUZZING!!!! Shifts like new :biggrin:

Also, I've heard a lot of people say that you should rarely ever have to replace a solenoid pack as they rarely go bad. (aside from chronic leaks at times) While I agree that they don't neccesarily go bad....they do have a number of what I'd call microscopic screens in them that can and I'm sure in my case, did get clogged after 12 years and 143,000 miles of fluid flowing through them, causing restriction and caused symptoms such as mine. (this will be officially determined upon disassembly)

·
1000 Post Club Member
1,985 Posts
Did you clean the mounting area before removing it? Its a trap for collecting stuff especially if the pack is leaking fluid a little.

·
Super Moderator
24,780 Posts
Did you clean the mounting area before removing it? Its a trap for collecting stuff especially if the pack is leaking fluid a little.
That bulky wire harness jammed against it doesn't help either (Generation 4s).

·
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I gave it a blast with the water hose before I removed it, then cleaned everything else, making sure I didn't get any dirt into the holes. I'm going to post pics of the disassembly in just a minute. Kind of cool, kind of simple. Oh and I don't deal with ebay. Paypal is just...horrible, and I'd rather drive 1 minute to exchange under warranty rather than deal with ebay returns...had something gone wrong, I've grown to hate ebay. :lol:

·
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The disassembly of a 41TE Solenoid Pack:

Well I pulled it apart. Fairly simple to open it. When I opened it, the 3 springs you will see pushed it apart, they were loaded when it was assembled.

Opened Up

Front side, with the plug. the four coils.

once again

Disassembled

everything gone. the internal contacts

The other half, with all the what nots in it.

These were sitting on there, compressed between the 2 halves.

Source of "buzzing" noise?

Continued below: (8 pic limit)

·
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The answer to my question.

Transmission mount side

Clean AND dirty screens.

The other half (i moved the springs over to this side for demo).
They were compressed between this and the other side.

Fully disassembled. (everything that I could remove)

Pretty interesting in there. Does a lot of work too and its amazing how much quieter the new one is. I can't hear it at all.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Since it's been taken apart, it might be a good idea to rebuild the unit and keep as a spare part. The rebuild kit is about $25.

·
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the nice pics and great info.
I am glad to hear that this did the trick.
No problem. I'm glad it did too. It still amazes me how it shifts now just from changing the solenoid pack. It's a huge difference.

Since it's been taken apart, it might be a good idea to rebuild the unit and keep as a spare part. The rebuild kit is about $25.

I don't think I'll be needing it. Plus to reuse it, I'd need the 2 gaskets for the seperator plate which they don't sell so I'd have to rig something. If that borg-warner lasted that long so should this new one. :ThumbsUp:

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
The gaskets would be included in the kit. Kits for old style pack are still available.
I thought I'd mention it since it seems you liked taking it apart.

·
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The gaskets would be included in the kit. Kits for old style pack are still available.
I thought I'd mention it since it seems you liked taking it apart.
I'd still rather have the upgraded solenoid pack rather than a rebuild. No buzzing, not to mention what other updates they have done to it in the 12 years since mine was made. But I'm also one to buy a new starter rather than a rebuilt one.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
The second design of the pack is very different on the inside. There is a thread with photos of both.
A bad starter just needs a set of contacts most of the time, I wouldn't call it rebuilding.

·
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The second design of the pack is very different on the inside. There is a thread with photos of both.
A bad starter just needs a set of contacts most of the time, I wouldn't call it rebuilding.
I was just using the starter as an example...alternator as well. I know the pack is different...its redesigned and much much better.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Big TY on those pics!:thumb:

Other than the screens, did you find anything noticeably wrong with the unit? Cause for the replacement? I'm just wondering.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I was just using the starter as an example...alternator as well. I know the pack is different...its redesigned and much much better.
Remains to be seen if they last longer. A few more years is needed, considering that the first design has been around since 1988 and the second since late 1999.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts