The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
youtube.com/sideburns2009
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of my 3.3's and 3.8's have made this noise. Most of you probably know what I'm talking about. The pulley's make it. Idler pulley and tensioner are the culprits I believe. I know I can replace them with new ones to shut the noise up but instead I pulled out my trusty can of PB Blaster.(and honestly I'm used to the noise) I covered the belts up with some shop towels to keep the slick off the belt and doused the center of the idler pulley and tensioner, around the bolt and into the crevice around it and let it soak for awhile then cranked it up. I didn't think it was going to do anything because most of whats in PB Blaster does as any "lube" and rust inhibitor does and evaporates but lo and behold when I started it...complete silence at the pulleys(aside from the whining power steering pump). This stuff really does creep into crevices as it says. It's been a couple of hours and it's still quiet. It has been SOOO long since I have heard them this quiet, it's very nice actually, though I'm not sure how long the silence will last. This stuff has also saved me many headaches at getting broken exhaust flange bolts out of an exhaust manifold.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Is the noise you are talking about the weird high pitched (very hard to describe) noise that you can only notice at idle? It is a very interesting noise that can get annoying.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The noise on my 3.8 went away when i replaced the belt and tensioner.

·
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Is the noise you are talking about the weird high pitched (very hard to describe) noise that you can only notice at idle? It is a very interesting noise that can get annoying.
Yes that one. I've actually gotten used to it but admit that it's VERY nice to have it gone. It's been awhile since my van has sounded so smooth at idle. The Ram does it as well, though not very loudly. It's coming straight from the tensioner on it.

·
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The noise on my 3.8 went away when i replaced the belt and tensioner.
I replaced my belt along with the water pump when the pump bearing failed. Boy did that sound horrible...anyway. I used a goodyear gatorback(this was 2 years ago) and it did quiet down alittle but the pulley noise was this very obvious. Sounds GREAT now though.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
I didn't think it was going to do anything because most of whats in PB Blaster does as any "lube" and rust inhibitor does and evaporates but lo and behold when I started it...complete silence at the pulleys(aside from the whining power steering pump). This stuff really does creep into crevices as it says. It's been a couple of hours and it's still quiet. It has been SOOO long since I have heard them this quiet, it's very nice actually, though I'm not sure how long the silence will last.
If PB Blaster's smell is any indication, it is very fine stuff. However, I would plan on doing this repeatedly and often, perhaps in decreasing intervals. It seems that what you have done is lubricate a very dry ball bearing with a very poor lubricant. Ball bearings are typically packed with grease. Sometimes that grease just gives up the ghost and the bearing wears considerably, creating the noise you hear. Even if the bearing isn't dry yet, repeated use of PB Blaster will surely dry it out.

I just replaced an idler pulley on my new (to me) Ford Focus. I could tell it was the problem because the paint had been rubbed off of the wear surface and the belt was being abraded. The bearing has a surprising degree of wobble when I spun it on my finger. Perhaps spraying a lubricant in the bearing would have quieted it down, but it wouldn't have fixed the problem.

·
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If PB Blaster's smell is any indication, it is very fine stuff. However, I would plan on doing this repeatedly and often, perhaps in decreasing intervals. It seems that what you have done is lubricate a very dry ball bearing with a very poor lubricant. Ball bearings are typically packed with grease. Sometimes that grease just gives up the ghost and the bearing wears considerably, creating the noise you hear. Even if the bearing isn't dry yet, repeated use of PB Blaster will surely dry it out.

I just replaced an idler pulley on my new (to me) Ford Focus. I could tell it was the problem because the paint had been rubbed off of the wear surface and the belt was being abraded. The bearing has a surprising degree of wobble when I spun it on my finger. Perhaps spraying a lubricant in the bearing would have quieted it down, but it wouldn't have fixed the problem.

It'll be fine, no worse than it already was.

·
PT Driver
2,661 Posts
PB Blaster is some good stuff, I have a can of it in my tool box, really is some good stuff, used it plenty of times to help free up stuck on bolts. with success.

·
Registered
47 Posts
/\ :biglaugha

-Slyder

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,494 Posts
If you could find a fairly honest monkey to live under the hood and keep spraying it, it is probably a permanent fix. But, in all honesty, if it got to the point of squeaking, it is probably damaged and replacement is inevitable. Read posts on how to replace with one 15mm wrench from behind if it is the tensioner. Rev the engine and see if the tensioner moves back and forth, it should a little. If it is stuck, it won't move. That is next time it starts squealing. It could be the idler also, there are two.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
It'll be fine, no worse than it already was.
For now, yes. But if the bearing is already galled, it will progressively get worse and eventually seize or separate. But it will probably let you know when that's going to happen with much more noise.

·
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The most common to make the noise is the idler pulley, I believe. Though all of my 3.3's and 3.8's have done this and I've never had a problem with the pulleys nor the belts so I'm not all that worried about it. It was sort of just an experiment I guess you could say, and it worked well.

·
Registered
76 Posts

hey dave i see a pattern with the fieros! i have a few myself and ive always loved them .

·
Registered
76 Posts

hey dave i see a pattern with the fieros! i have a few myself and ive always loved them .im actually located in zanesville ohio but im orignially from columbus.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts