The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who is filing up their t&c with flex fuel?

What are the advantages and disadvantages when using this fuel in our vehicles?

I've noticed so far by using e85 on cold weathers my rpms are stock at 2k when doing a cold start.

Don't know how to explain it but the car feels more powerful for some reason. When I let go of the brake, it just wants to go.

·
Vendor
1,469 Posts
I am a huge supporter of E85 Flex Fuel and use it all I can.

Advantages:
Longer engine life due to the cleaner fuel
Oil stays cleaner
Renewable fuel
Cleaner fuel

Disadvantages:
Less MPG, requiring more stops to fill up.
Can be hard to find in certain parts of the country. Here in IA, you can't throw a rock without it landing near an E85 pump.

However, when the temps get chilly, I move away from it, as it really burns quickly in the colder temps. As regular gasoline mileage goes down, so does E85, only it's worse due to it's lower burn properties.

My Chevy Silverado does better on E85 than my 02 Voyager, but Chevy has better engine management software for the purpose of E85 that actually enhances the mileage the longer you drive on it.

Some will tell you it is less efficient overall, but they are not fully aware of all the uses of corn after the ethanol is removed from the kernel. I'll avoid the politics on this, as it has been discussed in the Fuels forum extensively.

As for the idle, that is my wife's only complaint. The Software for our vans raises the idle speed to deal with the fact the engine is multi-fuel, and therefore cannot run on either perfectly. It is designed more for gasoline, and not the E85.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
I refuse to run it is my 3.6 on the new van. (Respectfully won't get into my reasons:) )
Maybe others who have can add to whether it runs any better in the 2011-2013 vans or not.
At least all of the current vans can run E-85. I never understood why they only allowed it in 2010 or earlier vans to run only in select 3.3 L vans. I think it should be a choice for owners to decide on.

Maybe the extra power you feel is the slightly higher idle.

Since this thread is pretty generic, I am going to move it to the Fuels Section.

·
Bewildered
378 Posts
So who is filing up their t&c with flex fuel?
What are the advantages and disadvantages when using this fuel in our vehicles?
I've noticed so far by using e85 on cold weathers my rpms are stock at 2k when doing a cold start.
Don't know how to explain it but the car feels more powerful for some reason. When I let go of the brake, it just wants to go.
For our '03, using E85 reduced the city mpg from 19 (E10) to about 14 (E85). It a rare to find E85 in these parts and the cost is usually higher. We only ran the E85 for a few tanks, but did notice a touch more power in the low to mid-range. I will not go into the politics either, too messy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I also won't get into politics but the simple fact is alcohol, regardless of it being methanol or ethanol has less energy than gasoline so you will always have poorer mileage. Oil change interval increases are, I believe, marginal because combustion contamination is generally caused by poor fitting components.... blow by.

I'm not down on Bio fuel and would gladly run Bio diesel if it were available here for a competitive cost... but there are no efficiency questions behind Bio diesel, only cold weather and political ones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
You don't want to see bio diesel in the winter. I think it is fine for warmer months though. It is supposed to have better lubricity than the low sulfur diesel that is out there now. Unfortunately politicians in MN legislate it to be mixed in diesel here all year round.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts