The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I wanted to see if anyone had suggestions for replacing the flex pipe at the catalytic converter. It is part of the OE catalytic converter assembly. Has anyone had success with a repair strategy that doesn't replace the cat? I'm considering taking it to a shop to see if they can replace. Just curious to see if anyone has suggestions.

Car is 2008 TC with 90k.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,062 Posts
A muffler shop can replace just the flex pipe. Make sure they don't do stupid $#!+ like chop the flange off. That will cost you way more in the future if they do that.

Reactions: 97K15004WD

·
Super Moderator
26,416 Posts
Flex pipe? Don't see any shown. What engine do you have?

·
Super Moderator
26,416 Posts
No room to do anything there, but, it can be done, by a person that knows what they are doing. Involves labor though. How much is your old cat worth at the recyclers?
New piece, including converter, is not that expensive.
Should plan on new NTK oxygen sensor. It's OE. NAPA has them here.
New, welded in, aftermarket, universal flex joint, is only good for a couple years, in my experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought just the flex pipe off of eBay. Took it to the mechanic to do it for me and it took about 4-5 hours. I thought it could be done quicker but I guess not.

·
Super Moderator
26,416 Posts
A couple hours at most.
Mechanic saw you coming. He didn't know how to tackle it. On the learning curve.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My flex blew out cuz my converter clogged. The OEM fittings are/were unavailable. Went to the junkyard and got a coupla flex fittings. As I recall, there are 2, maybe 3 different versions. The junkyard sawzalls the converters off at the flex, and all you hafta do is unbolt them from the exhaust manifold, which was surprisingly pretty easy. I elected to get an aftermarket universal fit converter(magnaflow, federal. Not Califoria), and have the mufflershop weld in the flex to the converter, cut out the old converter (had them return it to me, and was able to sell it to a recycler for, um, I think about $150?), and install the new converter. Sooo, I invested about 2-3 hrs going to/from junkyard and getting a few flex and parts for other cars, about 2 hrs at the mufflershop, about $200 for a converter, about $20 for 3 flex, about $150 to the mufflershop,,, minus about $150 for the old converter,,,, and managed to pass emissions!

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,062 Posts
Universal cat... :rolleyes: You'll be doing that again next year. 2 years if you're lucky. Direct fit cats will have a 5 year warranty usually. All but the cheapest will exceed that in terms of useful life.

Reactions: Jeepman

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's the same cat used for their direct fit, just without all the other piping, or the flange. Same 5yr warranty. Same 25k mileage,, which I'm well beyond now. 3yrs running now. 2 more, and it's outta warranty, and if it makes it past it's 5 yr life, it'll be easier, and even cheaper to replace,,, IF I still have the van... Cash outlay of some $200+ beats paying for direct fit, for a, um,, how old of vehicle? 12-13 yrs?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
13,833 Posts
My flex blew out cuz my converter clogged.
Not true.

The engine will die long before the system reaches enough pressure to blow it out.

It probably was badly rusted + bad motor-transmission mounts. Don't believe everything your mechanic tells you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts