The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a leaking flex pipe on my 2011 GC. As I did not find such a part on rockauto, I assume that it is part of one of the assemblies and there is no replacement for it besides buying a universal. Is this correct? If so, which universal should I get?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I have the same problem plus the resonator is rattling internally.

·
Super Moderator
29,083 Posts
If there's room, weld a new one in. It may need replacing every 3 or 4 years, not being stainless steel.
OE exhaust systems are a low grade stainless steel, good for 10 years or more.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,272 Posts
There's not room. I barely had enough room to weld in my wideband O2 and it's in an easier to reach spot below the flex. To weld a universal on, it would have to be pulled down first.

·
Super Moderator
29,083 Posts
Most Walker exhaust products are aluminized steel, the aluminum being considered a "finish" over a steel product. I believe Walker makes a stainless steel muffler but that's about it for stainless steel there.

Aluminized steel is common for exhaust system components.

Aluminum exhaust systems exist but are expensive. Not common either. Titanium gets mentioned from time to time.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,272 Posts
There were other options that were more expensive at RockAuto. Just make sure the picture looks about like that one. The "info" button will bring up a page that may list the material it's made of. I do know I saw at least 3 options on RockAuto.

Muffler shops will typically have their own flex pipes in stock. Often it's cheaper to just use what they have. And they usually have good quality flex pipes too.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
If one wanted to replace that whole flex pipe and resonator with an OE piece that runs from the cat to the rear muffler, can it be done with the van on ramps?

Item 1.

Schematic Map Line Font Parallel

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,272 Posts
The hardest part is separating the flex pipe section from the Y pipe section. Doubtful you'd get it with ramps alone because the pipe will need to be tilted down a lot in the back to clear the steering in the front. If they are pretty high and you also jack the rear up a few feet, maybe. I've never attempted any exhaust work on these without a lift.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
By cutting and welding.

Reactions: Sienile

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
If you do order the OE mid-pipe, it might come like this.

Brown Wood Floor Wall Brickwork

• Haha
Reactions: JacobK

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
The hardest part is separating the flex pipe section from the Y pipe section. Doubtful you'd get it with ramps alone because the pipe will need to be tilted down a lot in the back to clear the steering in the front. If they are pretty high and you also jack the rear up a few feet, maybe. I've never attempted any exhaust work on these without a lift.
Even with the flex pipe being so flexy?

Reactions: Jeepman

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,272 Posts
The hold the pipe has on the collector Y pipe is something else. With the clamp removed, it took over a half hour with a 5lb hammer to get it loose... and I don't live near the rust belt.

·
Super Moderator
29,083 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Sienile
1 - 16 of 16 Posts