The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone put a Flowmaster muffler on their 5th gen 4.0 yet?

I've been a car guy for decades and I've changed out the exhaust on every vehicle I've owned. This is my first mommy wagon and it's so damn quiet that I can't hear it running. I like to hear my vehicles. This one sounds decent when I'm standing on it but too quiet overall.

Since an aftermarket catback system will likely never be available, I'm thinking about just a muffler switch while leaving the rest of the system stock. I've done some Flowmaster 50s in the past but with everything else stock, it might still be too quiet. I wonder how a 40 series would sound? I've scanned youtube and found a few vids but they were 3.3s or 3.8s.

I'd really like to hear a 4.0 with non-stock exhaust.

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
It'd probably sound better than a 3.3/3.8, but still not great. I've done the opposite: removed a Flowmaster 40-series that a previous owner installed on my truck and put a Dynomax Super Turbo on it. I've never been impressed with Flowmaster's quality (rusting) nor sound. A Magnaflow would probably sound better, and flow a lot better as well.

I understand that you may be after the "Flowmaster sound", but I don't think you'll even get that...not with a V-6 engine. They end up sounding like...well...like V-6s engines with loud mufflers. :sick: Bleh.

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
I understand that you may be after the "Flowmaster sound", but I don't think you'll even get that...not with a V-6 engine. They end up sounding like...well...like V-6s engines with loud mufflers. :sick: Bleh.
Perhaps I got lucky, but I would have to disagree. I have a Flowmaster 40 Series on my 3.8 with a Magnaflow Cat and no resonator, and it sounds really awesome to me- not like the "oh, that must be a car with a bad muffler"... I've gotten nothing but compliments on it, and no one's asked me if my muffler was bad...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a Magnaflow cat-back system on my 09 Impala SS and it sounded great. In this case, I'm mainly going for sound. More flow would probably hurt low end torque anyway. I've put 50 series Flowmasters on a couple 4.3 S-Series in the past and it didn't sound ricey or bad at all. I've got Flowmaster on my 5.3 Trailblazer and it has a nice sound to it.

Here's a sound clip of my Trailblazer. It barely had 100 miles on it when I took it to the exhaust shop to have custom duals put on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GXm2BDVKSM

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
It works on the Trailblazer. Here's my 5.2L Dakota with a Flow-40 on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUMb6eKvri0

It sounded "good", but got too loud for daily driving. I'm not sure you'd be as happy with one of these behind a V-6, but maybe.

If you want "noise", a Dynomax Super Turbo will probably be too quiet for you, but I think it'd be a good muffler. It won't let a lot of the V-6 "rasp" through, but will still sound as mellow as a V-6 can.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 40 series are the loudest Flowmasters you can buy. I'm not surprised you got tired of it after awhile. I would too, especially if it droned real bad. I want to be able to hear it w/o being obnoxious. If I were going to take the stock exhaust completely off then I probably wouldn't do 40 series. If I'm just changing the muffler, I would be leaving all the stock resonators etc in place so that would quiet the 40 series some.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
The main problem with flowmasters is their rpm dependent drone. If you can handle that noise, it should sound good. Does the 4.0 have an iron block like the 3.3/3.8's? I know flowmasters sound worse on aluminum block engines too.

·
MOPAR Parts & Service Pro
3,052 Posts
I wanted to put duel exhaust on my S-10 and use 2 Flowmasters. The guy at the exhaust shop looked at me and said 'Do you want it to sound like a V8 with flowmasters or like a V6 with flowmasters cause that sounds like $#!+." I said V8 and he said "Then leave one exhaust pipe and put a flowmaster in place of your stock quiet shame of a muffler." I did, and it sounds great. He said that a flowmaster needs a lot of exhaust flow to sound right, and when you split that with duel pipes on a V6 you don't have enough exhaust flow to make it sound good. You may agree, you may disagree, but that is what he said. And my truck does sound good. Chryler's 3.8 with the single pipe and flowmaster sounds good also.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
I'm sure that if you searched YouTube for a Flowmaster on most any DOHC V-6 engine, you'll get a general idea of what it might sound like on your 4.0L. I would expect the 4.0L V-6 to sound like most other 4-valve V-6 engines in that regard. Chrysler's 3.3/3.8 and GM's 4.3 engines are 2-valve pushrod engines, and will sound different. I've heard a number of Dodge Dakotas with 3.9L V-6 engines (the ones derived from the 5.2L V-8s) with Flowmasters, and while I might go as far as to say they sounded "okay", it definitely wasn't the same tone as a V-8. Louder than stock, yes. Better? I wouldn't say.

With a V-6, I'd probably stick with a turbo-type muffler. Dynomax makes them, as does Hooker, etc.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good Point! DOHC might have a more ricey sound.

·
youtube.com/sideburns2009
2,926 Posts
Good Point! DOHC might have a more ricey sound.
If you do it right, you can get a purr out of those 24-valves and sound more like a Infiniti G35, like I've heard. :cool:
I've heard a few Chrysler 3.5 SOHC 24valve engines with nice exhaust. Flowmaster 40 series made them very loud and poppy, rather than ricey. Search youtube for dodge intrepid's with exhaust, chrysler 300m's and chrysler 300/Dodge Chargers with the 2.7 V6 or 3.5 V6 and you'll get an idea of what your 4.0 will sound like. The 4.0 SOHC V6 in your van is based on the Chrysler 3.5 SOHC V6 and sounds similar, both being 4 valve per cylinder engines.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Like Jason said, turbo mufflers ftw. I had them on my GTO before the glasspacks and they sounded soooo nice.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts