The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Chrysler Town & Country 30th Anniversary Edition. 3.6L, 211kW
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello.

Was wondering which sensor is which and where are they located at?

First sensor:

The info in description is a bit confusing. I know it’s located at the oil filter housing. Is it a coolant sensor or oil temp sensor? If coolant temp sensor then where is the oil temp sensor located at?

Second sensor:

Description is once again a bit confusing which fluid’s temperature it reads. And what’s the location of it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oil temp is derived from coolant temp at the oil cooler. Just the 2 coolant sensors and the oil pressure sensor for fluids.

Jeepman listed the correct positions, oil cooler and front head.
Do you know how do they derive oil temp from the coolant temp?
Do you also happen to know which sensor’s reading is coolant temp gauge and EVIC’s coolant temp showing?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The coolant temperature sensor (ECT) is a very important input to the PCM. It is used to calculate fuel mixture, ignition timing, whether the engine should be run in open or closed feedback loop and the operation of the cooling fans among other things. Chrysler uses a pressure/density system for its electronic fuel injection. The temperature of the engine greatly affects the density of the air/fuel charge. An ECT that is out of calibration can affect the EFI operation significantly. The use of data from the ECT for the temp gauge is merely a convenient secondary function.
Which one is the ECT? The one in oil filter housing or the other?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't tell you for certain. I didn't even know that there were two sensors on these vans until a little while ago :p I have a 4th gen and am not very familiar with 5th gen vans, just speaking from my general Chrysler knowledge. If I were to guess I would say the one in the cylinder head is the primary coolant temp sensor.

What are you trying to fix on your van?
Not fixing anything. Just researching, learning and educating myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts