The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 CTC, with only 89,000 miles and I had to replace the flywheels which had a chunk out and broke around the bolts, now a month later, the transmission is out. Seeing others having the same issue, I believe the town & country has a serious quality problem in this are

·
3rd gen > all others
2,418 Posts
Design problem, and possibly bad metallurgy of the OE flexplate. You can see how they crack in a rough square pattern, which coincides with the 4 big openings in the plate. It's supposed to flex a bit, but it may be a bit too much and the fatigue causes cracks. Earlier flex plates like in the 3rd gen still cracked, but in a round circle around the bolts. The openings in the flex plate were different.

·
Super Moderator
4,780 Posts
This same flexplate is used on every 3.6L across the Chrysler lineup since 2011. They’re not breaking as much as you think.
146k on mine.
Other vehicle manufacturers use the same type of flexplate and they fail sometimes as well.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,224 Posts
2013 CTC, with only 89,000 miles and I had to replace the flywheels which had a chunk out and broke around the bolts, now a month later, the transmission is out. Seeing others having the same issue, I believe the town & country has a serious quality problem in this are View attachment 57176
Your flexplate vs mine.

Your and mine (white line).

Very similar.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,418 Posts
It's probably about as common as the injector harness issue on 2001 - 2003 vans.
2004 still had the same harness. It was moved to passenger side in 2005, when a lot of electrical stuff changed.

And yes, I agree. I wonder if it's because of the front drive layout that they fail in the vans, or just maybe a bad batch metalurgically from a supplier?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts