The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Dodge GC SXT, 3.8L 2020 Dodge GC SXT Blacktop 3.6L 328 miles
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the recall on the driver airbag emblem. They said my front and real motor mounts were collapsed. I have not looked at them yet. Is there any tricky thing involved in replacing them? Thanks.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,062 Posts
Front is super easy. Just drop the crossmember with it attached.

Rear is a pain. You need the aluminum bracket on the trans off. Side mounts will hold it, but you may need a jack to get the weight off the center bolt.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thank you. I first need to see if they are really bad, or if they just wanted to make a "little" (really a lot) money. I found them at Rock Auto for about $14 and one for $10. They wanted way too much for them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The worth of personal experiences re aftermarket parts is fleeting at best.
Just be aware that there are some real shoddy engine mounts out there. In this case, "shoddy" can mean total failure in 3 months.
Excuse me if you already know this.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,062 Posts
Anchor makes great mounts. Just as durable as OE. Other brands may not hold up as well. I personally pack my mounts to make them stiffer, no matter what brand.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anchor is the brand from Rock Auto. What do you pack them with?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,062 Posts
I cut pieces of nylon-reinforced radiator hose to the width of the mount and layer them in the gaps until I can't squeeze any more in. Last set I injected with roofer's polyurethane, but I think the packed hose works better, but it could just be the quality of the base mount. I did Anchor the first time and Westar the second.

I'm tough on mounts and performance mounts are not a thing for these vans. They last me about 4-5 years before I start to notice a bit of wiggle. (Packed mounts won't move much, ever.) Old mounts are still useable and kept as an emergency backup set, would still be fine for non-race use.

Forgot I had a pic of my packed trans mount on here already.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, thank you. I drive more like a granny these days instead of a hotrodder. My mounts have lasted 13 years and I still haven't noticed a problem. I will check them out though. Probably, just the stock mounts will be ok.

·
Registered
2012 Chrysler Town & Country Touring L
25 Posts
the front engine mount can be fished out without removing the engine support beam. But you should examine it to make sure it's in good shape. The front mounting point of the support beam has like a rubber mounted spacer that can tear.

the rear mount is cramped as heck to get to. a ratcheting stubby 16mm might be helpful. i suffered through without. when you figure out how to get access to the bolts, you'll see what i mean, one of them is just a total pita. the other trick is figuring out how to maneuver the mount around the exhaust hanger.

objectively not a terrible job, but sucks when using floor jacks at home.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very much for your reply. I will be doing this without a lift at home. I don't expect it to be easy. Not much is at my age.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts