The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently at about 28,800 miles and the front brakes have been pulsing pretty bad for the last few months. I just haven't had time to get them looked at. I called the dealer this morning and the service adviser said there is a recall and my van qualifies. She said the deductible cost is $100 but they will most likely replace the rotors and pads. :thumb:

I've got a few small issues I've been needing to take it in for including a recall for the ignition. Hopefully I can get everything solved all in one trip <knocks on wood>!!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
yes the 09-11 vans have a brake warranty extension on them til 3/36k and replaces them with an updated rotor and pad set (hopefully what the 2012 is running)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm glad to hear that!!! 28k (actually earlier) is ridiculous for needing brakes already. Last time I did brakes on a vehicle was 2004. My 06 Trailblazer has 65k miles on it and the brakes are still over 50% and I tow with it!

·
Super Moderator
6,204 Posts
yes the 09-11 vans have a brake warranty extension on them til 3/36k and replaces them with an updated rotor and pad set (hopefully what the 2012 is running)
Do you mean 08-10?

This is the first I've heard of anything about the '11 brakes.

·
Registered
305 Posts
At 54000 kms and 2nd set ....they are horrible and pulsating groaning and shaking like crazy. What recourse if any do we have in Canada?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
nope most likely because the 08's in a month are out of the year year warranty...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How many years has Chrysler/Dodge been building minivans now? 26? You would think they could figure out how to correct pre-mature front brake wear.

Although I do have to say, have you ever noticed how many women drive these things? If I see a stop coming up, I start coasting down so I don't have to use the brakes very hard. I've observed other minivan drivers and it's either stomp on the gas or stomp on the brake! Why slow down until the last second when there is a stop sign ahead? lol Just accelerate until 50' from the stop and then jam the brakes! :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
6,204 Posts
How many years has Chrysler/Dodge been building minivans now? 26? You would think they could figure out how to correct pre-mature front brake wear.

Although I do have to say, have you ever noticed how many women drive these things? If I see a stop coming up, I start coasting down so I don't have to use the brakes very hard. I've observed other minivan drivers and it's either stomp on the gas or stomp on the brake! Why slow down until the last second when there is a stop sign ahead? lol Just accelerate until 50' from the stop and then jam the brakes! :laughing:
I've noticed this in my family too.

Dad and I will coast to a stop sign...

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I see it all the time with people stopping on a dime. My next door neighbors daughter, a new driver pulls into the drive at 50klm and then stomps hard on the brakes. As well there is a left turn lane down the road and another intersection not 500 feet before that. Some people turn left at the intersection just a couple of feet from the left turn lane and then the others flow into the left turn lane at the lights. Here is a potential for an accident because of all the stompers and the people who decide to turn left at the last minute. Seems these days you can't do it fast enough. I approach all intersections with caution and it has paid off a few times.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just had a soccer mom pass me on the 4-lane highway yesterday in a 4th Gen T&C. I was going 70 in a 65 and she blew past me just to exit about 1/2 mile ahead. I also exited and was right behind her at the stop sign. lol She gained nothing by blowing past me and then having to slow down fast to stop. :jpshakehe

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I just had a soccer mom pass me on the 4-lane highway yesterday in a 4th Gen T&C. I was going 70 in a 65 and she blew past me just to exit about 1/2 mile ahead. I also exited and was right behind her at the stop sign. lol She gained nothing by blowing past me and then having to slow down fast to stop. :jpshakehe
I see a lot of female drivers becoming very aggressive on the road and not wanting to give courtesy to other drivers, so now they get no courtesy from me, not even a nod. Very satisfying.:lol:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I always tell people that I'm driving a damn minivan so I obviously have nothing to lose!! Just go ahead and try me!!!
:D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I always tell people that I'm driving a damn minivan so I obviously have nothing to lose!! Just go ahead and try me!!!
:D
Trust me I get far more respect from other drivers when driving my truck than I do the van...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Oh here we go with the off post comments. It's funny how this train gets so far up a different track. I saw a guy with that set up doing hard stops and a lot of weaving in and out of traffic. I let him go and found him in a left turn lane later on up the road as I went merrily on my way, he did have to fight to pass me and got no respect. He didn't get any breaks from me. I found his driving very reprehensible. He could have caused a serious accident on a road well known for them.
Now back to the brakes.:lol:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Compared with my other vehicles, I would much rather damage the van!! I view it as an appliance for people moving. Even though I take good care of it, I don't have love for it like my other vehicles!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've been driving for almost fifty years now and there is a definite increase in the aggressiveness of almost all drivers these days. Part of the reason is that cars have become much more capable in both acceleration and braking. It also seems that as the roads become more crowded, people become more aggressive behind the wheel, switching lanes and cutting into the smallest openings between cars. I think I see more 'drafting' on the expressways here around Chicago than in most Nascar races!

As much as we all admire the cars from the fifties for their styling and the 'muscle cars' of the sixties, if the younger drivers of today had to go back to driving them, they'd be very disappointed in the handling and braking of most of them. I know my 2011 T&C cannot accelerate as quickly as my old '69 Hemi Roadrunner did...., but it would definitely out corner it and outbrake it! (Although the performance from it's 220 cubic inch engine moving a van weighing close to 5000 lbs would definitely have astounded drivers from even 20-25 years ago! Can you imagine the performance of an early Ford Mustang weighing less than half of what my T&C does, would be with the 3.6 Pentastar and the six-speed auto in it?)

Tires and brakes, even with the harder use they seem to get these days, do last much longer than they did in the years after I started driving.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been driving for almost fifty years now and there is a definite increase in the aggressiveness of almost all drivers these days. Part of the reason is that cars have become much more capable in both acceleration and braking. It also seems that as the roads become more crowded, people become more aggressive behind the wheel, switching lanes and cutting into the smallest openings between cars. I think I see more 'drafting' on the expressways here around Chicago than in most Nascar races!

As much as we all admire the cars from the fifties for their styling and the 'muscle cars' of the sixties, if the younger drivers of today had to go back to driving them, they'd be very disappointed in the handling and braking of most of them. I know my 2011 T&C cannot accelerate as quickly as my old '69 Hemi Roadrunner did...., but it would definitely out corner it and outbrake it! (Although the performance from it's 220 cubic inch engine moving a van weighing close to 5000 lbs would definitely have astounded drivers from even 20-25 years ago! Can you imagine the performance of an early Ford Mustang weighing less than half of what my T&C does, would be with the 3.6 Pentastar and the six-speed auto in it?)

Tires and brakes, even with the harder use they seem to get these days, do last much longer than they did in the years after I started driving.
I agree 100%. I try to avoid driving in Chicago as much as possible but I sometimes have to go there for work. The interstates around the city have 2 speeds, 80mph or stopped. I think I-80 on the south end is the worst!

You are right about today's vehicles. They are better in almost every way than older cars. Modern cars don't have the "coolness" or personality of older cars but it's pretty sad when a minivan can outperform an older "muscle car". I like how more people are restoring older cars but putting modern suspension and drivetrains in them. I think that is cool as ****. I've got a 1978 Lincoln Mark V. Not hardly a "classic" but I think it would be cool to pull out the 460 and replace it with a modern big block or maybe even a Powerstroke diesel!!

Well I took the van in this morning. I've never been to this dealer before so we will see.

I had a list of things to look at and I was waiting to get them all checked at once.

Front Brakes
Alignment (noticed inside of tires wearing)
Noise in front suspension like strut mount
Ignition Recall
Pass Side sliding door latch rattle
Driver Side sliding door- Inside panel leaving mark on rear fender
Remote Start sometimes doesn't work

The service guys are going to hate me!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
why on earth would you put a powerstroke into a retrofit car??? Speaking of powerstrokes my neighbor is outside as we speak cranking for about the 100th time trying to get that thing started :) he really hates it when I fire the Cummins off on the first crank..

OK as said before taking this off topic sorry...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
why on earth would you put a powerstroke into a retrofit car??? Speaking of powerstrokes my neighbor is outside as we speak cranking for about the 100th time trying to get that thing started :) he really hates it when I fire the Cummins off on the first crank..

OK as said before taking this off topic sorry...
Mainly because it's a Ford motor. I really wish you could get a Cummins in a Ford truck.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Mainly because it's a Ford motor. I really wish you could get a Cummins in a Ford truck.
Actually Ford does not make the PowerStroke, Neverstart (Navistar) did until 2011...
And I know many guys running Ford trucks with Cummins, very popular re-power when the stroker goes belly up...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts