The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Actually Ford does not make the PowerStroke, Neverstart (Navistar) did until 2011...
And I know many guys running Ford trucks with Cummins, very popular re-power when the stroker goes belly up...
I know Cummins is #1 for diesel engines. I've seen some Cummins 4 cylinder diesel conversions on Youtube.

Dealer called and the van is done. The guy drove it and said that those front brakes really were bad! The replaced the rotors and pads under warranty. He said there was a PCM flash for the Remote start intermittent problem, did the ignition recall and they ordered a part to fix the sliding door inside panel touching the fender. I'm excited to see if it drives and brakes smoother now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 Town & Country that I purchased new in October 2008. In the first 9 months that I owned this vehicle I was back and forth to the Chrysler dealer complaining about brakes squealing/scraping. I was told each time that nothing was wrong. I then had to replace the brakes at 13190 miles, again at 29103 miles and again at 31623 miles. It now has 33116 miles and needs new brakes again. I learned of the extended warranty being offered by Chrysler so I called the dealer who told me the extended warranty expired October 3 2011. WHAT ????? They suggest I bring the van in and they'll 'see what they can do'. I have an appointment tomorrow at 8 am at which time my family attorney is meeting me at the Chrysler dealer. I've had enough, I'm fed up. I'm 54 years old, have owned 24 vehicles, both new and used, since I was 16 and have NEVER had issues like this.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have a 2009 Town & Country that I purchased new in October 2008. In the first 9 months that I owned this vehicle I was back and forth to the Chrysler dealer complaining about brakes squealing/scraping. I was told each time that nothing was wrong. I then had to replace the brakes at 13190 miles, again at 29103 miles and again at 31623 miles. It now has 33116 miles and needs new brakes again. I learned of the extended warranty being offered by Chrysler so I called the dealer who told me the extended warranty expired October 3 2011. WHAT ????? They suggest I bring the van in and they'll 'see what they can do'. I have an appointment tomorrow at 8 am at which time my family attorney is meeting me at the Chrysler dealer. I've had enough, I'm fed up. I'm 54 years old, have owned 24 vehicles, both new and used, since I was 16 and have NEVER had issues like this.
By chance did you buy your van on October 3rd 2008? Only asking because it would be out of the 3 years at that time...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Kat- Sorry to hear about your brake issues. That is ridiculous! I hope the dealer can get you fixed up.

Picked the van up tonight. It was after service closed but they left it out for me. New brakes are like BUTTER!! So nice and smooooooooth! I was originally told there was a $100 deductible but I asked if there was any cost when the guy called and he said no. :thumb: I did notice the new ignition switch feels very strange compared with the old one. It feels almost like the key goes in crooked and it's harder to turn. I will have to bring it up when I'm back in next week for the door part.

·
MOPAR Parts & Service Pro
3,052 Posts
Mainly because it's a Ford motor. I really wish you could get a Cummins in a Ford truck.
I really wish I could get an Allison automatic behind a Cummins in a Dodge...

·
3,052 Posts
Kat- Sorry to hear about your brake issues. That is ridiculous! I hope the dealer can get you fixed up.

Picked the van up tonight. It was after service closed but they left it out for me. New brakes are like BUTTER!! So nice and smooooooooth! I was originally told there was a $100 deductible but I asked if there was any cost when the guy called and he said no. :thumb: I did notice the new ignition switch feels very strange compared with the old one. It feels almost like the key goes in crooked and it's harder to turn. I will have to bring it up when I'm back in next week for the door part.
All my customer's hate the recall. 4 have called Chrysler and complained. 2 have begged me to take the recall fix back out. And 1 customer actually did take his recall back out himself. It does make the FOBIK much harder to turn. Also, just trying to turn the ignition to ON and not start the van is dang near impossible...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I really wish I could get an Allison automatic behind a Cummins in a Dodge...
We all wish we could part the vehicle togther with different parts! Like a "build your own" truck. lol

All my customer's hate the recall. 4 have called Chrysler and complained. 2 have begged me to take the recall fix back out. And 1 customer actually did take his recall back out himself. It does make the FOBIK much harder to turn. Also, just trying to turn the ignition to ON and not start the van is dang near impossible...
So that's normal? Man, it sucks! I noticed it the instant I put my key in, it felt totally wrong. What do they do for the recall? Install something in the switch?

·
3,052 Posts
So that's normal? Man, it sucks! I noticed it the instant I put my key in, it felt totally wrong. What do they do for the recall? Install something in the switch?
They put a extra detent ring in with a spacer. If it feels odd, then chances are it is normal...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
They put a extra detent ring in with a spacer. If it feels odd, then chances are it is normal...
Cam I remove it? I wasn't having a problem before! What a joke! :angry1:

·
3,052 Posts
Cam I remove it? I wasn't having a problem before! What a joke! :angry1:
Me being in the position I am, I don't feel I can tell you to remove it... or even say it is ok if you remove it...

Now, it is your van. What you do is up to you.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I had that recall done to my 2010 T&C. I didn't have any problems with it before and didn't even know there was a recall. I found out about it after having an oil change done at the dealer, and when I picked it up, they told me they had done the 'FOBIK' recall. I had to ask what that was, and they explained it.

I found the 'key' to be slightly stiffer in the switch, and remembered having thought that it wasn't all that secure feeling before, but afterward, I actually thought it felt better and had more of a quality feel to it. I never had problems with it being too hard to turn or turning farther than I intended.

·
3,052 Posts
I had that recall done to my 2010 T&C. I didn't have any problems with it before and didn't even know there was a recall. I found out about it after having an oil change done at the dealer, and when I picked it up, they told me they had done the 'FOBIK' recall. I had to ask what that was, and they explained it.

I found the 'key' to be slightly stiffer in the switch, and remembered having thought that it wasn't all that secure feeling before, but afterward, I actually thought it felt better and had more of a quality feel to it. I never had problems with it being too hard to turn or turning farther than I intended.
Now I don't think it is too hard to turn, just more stiff. But, it is almost, dang near, impossible to turn the key to the run position, without actually starting the engine.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I thought mine was perfectly fine before they fu... err I mean "recalled" it. I turn it to start and it feels like the key wants to stay held in the start position. It's horrible! I understand where you are coming from jgbat. I'm going to take it back and discuss with the dealer. If they can't "fix" the problem I might end up doing it myself. I understand why some of your customers undid it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I thought mine was perfectly fine before they fu... err I mean "recalled" it. I turn it to start and it feels like the key wants to stay held in the start position. It's horrible! I understand where you are coming from jgbat. I'm going to take it back and discuss with the dealer. If they can't "fix" the problem I might end up doing it myself. I understand why some of your customers undid it!
I wasn't happy with how the key felt after the recall either. Although it has been it's been about 4 months now since the recall was done and in that time it has loosened up a tad and feels okay now. I can now actually feel the detents for ACC/ON/START now and don't overshoot to START every time I just want to turn the key to ACC. Hopefully yours will improve a bit after some time too.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I wasn't happy with how the key felt after the recall either. Although it has been it's been about 4 months now since the recall was done and in that time it has loosened up a tad and feels okay now. I can now actually feel the detents for ACC/ON/START now and don't overshoot to START every time I just want to turn the key to ACC. Hopefully yours will improve a bit after some time too.

Thanks! :thumb: Me too!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Update- Van has 52,300 on it now and the brakes need work again. Every now and then when I stop it makes a very strange noise all through the front suspension. I looked at the pads when I switched from winter to summer wheels and they don't look bad visually. I guess time for new pads again?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts