The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to change fuel injectors in my 2008 Grand Caravan with the 3.3L flex fuel engine. Anybody know if the fuel injectors for "flex fuel" engines are any different than the fuel injectors for "Gas" engines? I'm looking at Standard Motor Parts FJ1029

Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 Town and Country 3.8L
145 Posts
Quick search on rockauto and there’s no option for flex fuel vs regular gas after putting your cars details in. Based off this I’d assume the injectors are the same.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Product Azure Purple Rectangle Font

Rockauto shows the above two Mopar Part Numbers...
I replaced two injects a few years ago and saved the old ones. They had the 4861667AA number stamped on them even though its a flex fuel engine. I assume the only difference would be soft parts that are compatible with e-85 ethanol. And, I have never seen e-85 for sale much less used!

·
Registered
2008 Town and Country 3.8L
145 Posts
Yea I don’t see any e-85 where I live. I think it depends where you live.

·
Registered
12 Posts
While it's less prone to knock, E85 is a less energy dense fuel and requires more of it to produce the same power. The flex fuel injectors may have a greater capacity, which even if you never use E85 could result in incorrect injection (potentially lean) if in fact the non-flex injectors are smaller and the ECU doesn't know this. I didn't find any info on injector size with a quick search, but I'd try to do more research if I were you.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,090 Posts
Only one injector is offered on Mopar sites:

The other option is a remanufactured one:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think Rock Auto may have misidentified fuel injector 4861454AA. From other websites, it appears that part number is for 2001-2007.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While it's less prone to knock, E85 is a less energy dense fuel and requires more of it to produce the same power. The flex fuel injectors may have a greater capacity, which even if you never use E85 could result in incorrect injection (potentially lean) if in fact the non-flex injectors are smaller and the ECU doesn't know this. I didn't find any info on injector size with a quick search, but I'd try to do more research if I were you.
My concern as well...
Does the PCM have a means of determining if a car is burning e-85 vs gasoline. Bit out of my depths here, but the PCM would have to command different values (pulse widths) to the injectors if the car is burning gas vs flex fuel. Would this be apparent from the fuel trim numbers?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,090 Posts
My concern as well...
Does the PCM have a means of determining if a car is burning e-85 vs gasoline. Bit out of my depths here, but the PCM would have to command different values (pulse widths) to the injectors if the car is burning gas vs flex fuel. Would this be apparent from the fuel trim numbers?
That's exactly how it works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts