The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! I have a 2003 T&C. I replaced the fuel pump about a year ago and it has been running great. All of a sudden the other day, it did not want to crank right away. It will start everytime, but it takes about 4 to 5 turns of the key for about 5 seconds each turn. Once cranked it runs fine...I can drive it 30 miles down the highway with no problems. Once I shut it off...if I recrank it immediately, it will fire up after 1 or 2 turns of the key for about 3 to 4 seconds each turn. But if I wait about 20 minutes, it will take the 4 to 5 turns of the key again. It seems that there is a fuel pressure problem...I haven't noticed any gas leaks...I was thinking maybe the fuel pressure regulator...but I don't know where it is. Also, I don't have a test port on the line coming from the intake. Help!

·
3rd gen > all others
2,316 Posts
Fuel pressure regulator is part of the fuel pump module assembly. It's inside the gas tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fuel pump regulator is inside the fuel pump module in the tank.
Here's a couple of likely possibilities of you long crank times but runs fine afterwards until re- start
1 Fuel pump check valve not holding pressure once engine is turned off.
2 Bad fuel pressure regulator
3 Bad fuel injector bleeding fuel when closed
At any rate you're losing fuel pressure on the off cycle.
Fuel pressure bleed down is the test you need. It should hold pressure for a good 5 minutes after you shut engine off .
More than likely it's the check valve in the fuel pump

1 - 4 of 4 Posts