The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that read and/or responded to my original post (Fuel Pump Failure?), I want to thank you for your input, so I didn't have to throw parts at resolving my crank but no start issue; as a reminder, I had spark, a P0601 ECM check sum code that had been on for over 6 months with no apparent drivability issues, fuel pressure at the rail only when I jumped the fuel relay pins in the IPM at pins 30/87, but no fuel pressure during cranking w/o jumping the pins, wiring that appeared alright and fuel pressure of 51 psi when the relay was jumped; lastly, the car wouldn't start when the fuel relay was jumped.

It took me a while to think through this but based on the input provided by Roadripper, LPete and ApachePilot1 and a few others I started from the beginning and read some related to my issues throughout the 4Gen Forums. Long story short, the dreaded fuel injector wiring harness near the 10 pin connector had almost no insulation on it. The thing is buried way back behind the steering reservoir and coil and somewhat above the exhaust manifold cover with grease all around it. When I initially checked for this, I wasn't sure what I was looking for, but It is a disaster ready to happen to any of the 4Gen before Chrysler rerouted it in 2005 I believe. It should be routine maintenance to check this and/or add insulation (I added high temp cloth electrical tape and plastic split loom on top of the new wires to ensure this doesn't happen again)

I couldn't believe the van ran for as long as it did with the old harness devoid of insulation. I guess when I slammed the hood shut, that was the final short that fried the ECM also. Likewise, I had to replace the ECM after the new wiring harness for the van to run again. Also, glad I found the bad injector wiring harness as if I put in a new ECM, it would have shorted out rather quickly with the shorted injector wiring harness in place (picture attached).

So, the resolution was fairly simple after isolating what the root causes were of the symptoms I had.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,580 Posts
Yay, I nailed it in post #7. Anyone with a V6 2001-2004 should always inspect that injector harness. I'm glad the thread about it was stickied at the top of this section of the forum. Sometimes the van will run GREAT at WOT but not any other time, and that is a good sign to check that harness. Sorry that you had to replace the ECM, as the injector drivers will get fried if the shorted harness is left for too long. Sounds like you did a great job of protecting the new harness. (y)

Reactions: nick778

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yay, I nailed it in post #7. Anyone with a V6 2001-2004 should always inspect that injector harness. I'm glad the thread about it was stickied at the top of this section of the forum. Sometimes the van will run GREAT at WOT but not any other time, and that is a good sign to check that harness. Sorry that you had to replace the ECM, as the injector drivers will get fried if the shorted harness is left for too long. Sounds like you did a great job of protecting the new harness. (y)

Yes after re-reading your #7 post on my original listing, I searched the forum and found that sticky to help me locate the harness connector end, etc. I was unfortunate in that my ECM had already fried enough, where it couldn't provide any other potentially helpful codes to further assist in the diagnosis (all that was stored was the P0601 code, and it appeared to drive ok with perhaps a 2mpg loss in fuel mileage that I thought was due to using the A/C when the weather got warm). I did notice, however, when checking the fuel circuit/pump for ground, near the rear of the car, that the tailpipe had an excessive amount of carbon around the end of it. I'm guessing some or all of the injectors were running open given that some or all of the wires were shorted. Yeah, I never would have figured this out by myself without the forum and everyone's input including yours, and I'm not one to throw parts at a problem or bring it to someone else to work on as long as I have the tools to do the job. Again, thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts