The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
The car has 245,000 miles and other than the fuel filter, which I change about every 18 to 24 months, everything else fuel related is original to the car. The car refused to fire two days ago. I towed it home and suspected a fuel filter, it was due for one. Slithered under the car and changed it. The engine fired right up and I took it for a test drive. Next day I get in it and go exactly one mile and it dies on the road. I can crank it all day but no fire. I checked relays, checked for spark at the plugs and all are satisfactory. I do not have a fuel pressure gauge to see if I have pressure. I tend to suspect the fuel pump may be the problem, but when I engage the key into the start position, I hear the fuel pump come on for its prime of the fuel line, then click off. Any thoughts?

Registered
Why are you changing the fuel filter so often? It doesn't need to be changed that often to begin with on a gas engine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I use E85 and because it is a solvent-type fuel, it tends to clog the fuel filter quicker. When I used Regualr gas, I only chnaged filters about ever four years.

Reactions: marvinstockman

Vendor
I think you are too worried about the fuel filter and E85.I had 100000 miles on my filter when I changed it and am a pretty heavy user of E85. It only causes problems when the system is dirty to begin with.

Try a can of starting fluid. If it fires up after spraying into the intake you know your fuel pump is the problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it will run on starter fluid.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I changed the fuel pump and it still won't fire. Checked the relays and fuse, all are good.

Vendor
I hate to ask the obvious....did you get it plugged in correctly? How about reconnecting the ground strap?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

5000 Club
Are the injectors firing?

Registered
I highly recommend you not use starting fluid, this stuff is highly explosive and can easily blow up you and your engine!!

Use spray carb cleaner instead, works just as well and not nearly as dangerous.

Starting fluid is mostly for diesel engines and even they pretty risky if not used correctly.

Registered
A quick fuel pressure test would have spared you the cost of a fuel pump.
Have you not pulled any codes from the OBD computer?

Start there.

Crank position sensors
Flex plate

btw...just because the pump runs does not guarantee sufficient PRESSURE.
You really need to know the fuel pressure.
You could have a voltage drop or high resistance and the pump is only partially working.

One thing you said raised an eyebrow...you changed the fuel filter and it started working.
Maybe because you bumped the connector and temporarily improved the connection? Just a guess.

Maybe some water got in the tank?

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
It appears to be a worn out crank sensor. The 2003 3.3 FF engines do not have an Ignition Control Module. The signals from the Crank sensor and Cam sensor got straight into the computer and if they don't send a signal that they are working, then the injectors are not turned on, so to speak.

The carb cleaner is an excellent suggestion. A quick burst of starting fluid got me about two seconds of engine operation, enough to verify the coil was working and the plugs were firing. With a new fuel pump and filter, they quickly eliminate several potential problems. The ASD relay and the Fuel Pump relay are working, I could hear both click on. Sniffing the exhaust at the tail pipe suggests raw gas. I chatted with a former Chrysler mechanic who tells me he is seeing Cam sensor and Crank sensor failure in the older 3.3 FF engines, and when I told him mine has 245,000 miles he quickly pointed to those as being the first place he would look, and he would check Crank sensor first. it does get tired.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts