The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing a spike in people with no start issues, I figured it'd be best to do a simple write up on the fuel pump relay. (I also included a copy of the TSB for this issue on the Durango and a printable PDF of these instructions.) There are 3 ways to address the issue: the temporary bypass cable, an external relay, or one of the VV plug-in bypass modules. I only cover the bypass cable and the external relay. If you need help with the VV bypass, you probably shouldn't be driving in the first place.

The external relay is the recommended fix. It's cheap, permanent, safe, factory approved, and makes future issues much easier to deal with. I strongly advise soldering these connections. Not shown in my diagrams is the in-line fuse going to constant power - do not forget to include this.

The bypass cable should only be used as a temporary fix. It can leave the pump running when the engine is off and bad connections in the fuse box have caused fires.
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Electronic device Auto part Machine

Do not use the bypass cable as a permanent fix!

Here's the TIPM diagram with the external relay in place. There are 3 wires that you need to connect to. One of these you will leave the end going to the TIPM disconnected.
Rectangle Font Schematic Parallel Slope

These are the connectors you will need to unplug to make the connections. The terminal numbers are in the color of the matching terminal on the standard relay. (Normally closed relay shown, but you should use a normally open relay.) You should verify the wire color before cutting into any wire.
Product Font Rectangle Parallel Diagram

The relay you use should be a normally open relay.
You should solder and heat shrink all connections for the best reliability.
You should have a fuse holder with a 20A fuse on the wire going to the TIPM B+ post.

Now for the bypass cable. Remember this is for testing and temporary use only.
Fashion Gadget Office supplies Material property Audio equipment

The M7 slot has a keyed and a battery 12v output. Use this slot for testing only. It will leave the pump running when the engine is off.
The M37 slot is the same output the factory external relay repair uses and only has power when the engine is running or being started. Use this for an emergency bypass.
Rectangle Font Tints and shades Magenta Parallel

You can make a bypass cable out of 2 ATM fuse taps. They often come with a butt connector preinstalled on the wire. Remove it from one, strip the wire, and crimp it to the other.
The bottom fuse in the side going to the M25 fuel pump fuse must be empty to avoid backfeeding voltage to the Run/Start circuit.
When installing the bypass cable in M37 and M25, the wire side of the fuse tap will point toward the center of the TIPM. Installing it backwards in M37 may blow the 10A fuse. Installing backwards in M25 will not power the fuel pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure if anyone has posted this before but every body needs to go the verticalvisions.com and order the TIPM PLUG IN RELAY system for $59. It works! It is a permanent solution and only takes 5 minutes to install. We were so happy to find this! We took the information to our mechanic and he had never heard of it. He was thrilled.
Circuit component Font Office equipment Rectangle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the other solution, for those not able to wire in the relay. I already linked to them in the original post. They currently have a sale on their full featured bypass board.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This way you can have your van back up and running in minutes for under $10 should the relay ever fail. You pick the relay to use, pick something you can find locally... and a spare to keep with you is cheap. If the VV bypass fails, you are waiting for another to ship. I'm not sure of his policy, whether it'd cost you another $59 or not. And buying just 1 VV bypass costs as much as doing the external relay 3 or 4 times (on others).

It's a great solution for those not able to do the external relay. But the external relay is the factory solution for this TIPM.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 10A feeds the existing M37 Run/Start circuit. The 2 20s feed the fuel pump.

Reactions: Aircraft Carrier

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VV makes their own cables now that eliminate the need for a 2nd 20A. When they first started making them, they used Bussman ATM fuse taps just like anyone can now. When mine failed, I used a single fuse tap and a flat connector pin, so mine only had 2 fuses but it also had just a plain wire with a pin on it sticking out of the F/P fuse slot.

Either one of the 20A fuses can safely be changed for any higher rating fuse or even a shunt, but one of them must be a 20A.

·
Registered
8 Posts
VV makes their own cables now that eliminate the need for a 2nd 20A. When they first started making them, they used Bussman ATM fuse taps just like anyone can now. When mine failed, I used a single fuse tap and a flat connector pin, so mine only had 2 fuses but it also had just a plain wire with a pin on it sticking out of the F/P fuse slot.

Either one of the 20A fuses can safely be changed for any higher rating fuse or even a shunt, but one of them must be a 20A.
Thanks - as always - for the insight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went ahead with the Vertical Visions plug in board since there was little risk (money back guarantee) and it seems to have done the trick. One odd thing though; the diagnostic LED on the board for the now bypassed and original fuel pump relay shows that it is fine (steady green LED). The fuel pump itself is fine too obviously.

When I did this test (watched the LED's during startup) the van had already been started a few times. Before the fix, I had only encountered the problem on the first start attempt after the van had been sitting a while. It could be that I'd see an original fuel pump relay problem during a "cold" start. I'll try that.

I'm impressed with VV. Well engineered product and good service. They have solutions for other problems too; door lock relays etc.

Thanks to all who contributed on this thread.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A lot of time when they go out they don't fail completely and may work after a few attempts, but it's only a matter of time before it fails completely. When mine went out it was a complete failure with no warning.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was just made aware of this thread, which covers replacing the relay inside the TIPM. I do not recommend doing this, however. If it ever fails you have to repeat the whole process again, when you could just unplug and swap relays if you do the external one. Also, board soldering is substantially more difficult than wire soldering and easy for inexperienced people to damage the TIPM further. Just posting this here for the random person that insists on a "as it came from the factory" look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure if anyone has posted this before but every body needs to go the verticalvisions.com and order the TIPM PLUG IN RELAY system for $59. It works! It is a permanent solution and only takes 5 minutes to install. We were so happy to find this! We took the information to our mechanic and he had never heard of it. He was thrilled. View attachment 68308
I bought this as my 2008 will die overnight and did nothing. Sucks. I should have done a temp fix to see if this was it before spending the money I guess

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you remove the bottom fuse for the M25 side? That must be done to stop a battery drain issue with the fuel pump relay. Really it should be done in all situations so it doesn't backfeed the other circuit should the relay engage.

·
Registered
2019 Grand Caravan GT
17 Posts
Did Chrysler ever fix this issue in production, or are all years of Gen 5 vans susceptible to this failure?
I was thinking that Chrysler got away from the TIPM - but I noticed that the owners manual references the TIPM.
I might buy a VV board and tuck it in the glovebox on the 2019...

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All 5th gens can have this issue. In fact this TIPM is used across most of the van/SUV models, so it can be an issue in other vehicles as well... oddly enough the Durango and the Grand Cherokee can get it repaired as part of a recall. That's what I based these external relay instructions on.

·
Registered
2019 Grand Caravan GT
17 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I am going to buy one. I won't necessarily install it.
This van is going to take the family from SC out to Moab, UT in the summer and I don't feel like being stranded in West Bumblefuch, Utah with a dead relay...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts