The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with the secondary DS sliding door latch (the one that prevents the door from opening when the gas door is open). When the gas door is closed, the latch hook sticks up just high enough to engage the rod on the door. This prevents the door from opening under its own power, but I can manually open it if I pull hard. I noticed on my dad's van (same model), that the latch hook goes all the way down so that the rod doesn't engage. My Hayne's manual doesn't mention anything specifically about getting at this latch, but I'm thinking it needs some kind of adjustment. Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Having not shared which model or year you have, I cannot assume you're under warranty, however, if you are, I'd recommend you stop by the dealer's service center and atleast ask the service manager or tech his thoughts on it. Some still give free advice ...... :ask_wsign

·
Registered
208 Posts
First I will suggest you fix or remove it real pronto. If it jams while the door is closed, it's not going to be pleasant. You can't remove either the latch or the striker with the door closed.

Try exercising the latch with an object similar to the striker pin. For example a screwdriver shaft of approximately same diameter. This will give you an idea of what the problem may be. Next, get to the back of the latch and see if the linkage from the fuel door is still connected and operates correctly. You will need to remove the interior trim panel to do this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The van in question is a 2006 DGC SXT which is unfortunately out of warranty. I tried the screwdriver thing in the latch, and could push the latch all the way down, but it would spring back up to the half-locked position as soon as I pulled the screwdriver out. I have a feeling I'm going to have to remove the interior panel, like dgtc said, to get a better look at what the problem might be. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,509 Posts
The van in question is a 2006 DGC SXT which is unfortunately out of warranty. I tried the screwdriver thing in the latch, and could push the latch all the way down, but it would spring back up to the half-locked position as soon as I pulled the screwdriver out. I have a feeling I'm going to have to remove the interior panel, like dgtc said, to get a better look at what the problem might be. Thanks for the suggestions.
Sounds like a great way to spend New Years Day off! Make a party of it and do the inevitable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts