The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok we have a 03 town and country lx 3.8l v6 auto fwd, I can usually get around 30mpg from and to where I travel but it feels like I am burning though gas like nothing, I tested it I put in 2 gallons when it was pretty much dying so I know it was more than 2 gal with the left over gas I got 30mpg (trip computer said) and I only traveled 30ish miles so there must be a prob here and about a month ago when I first started experiencing this a got a CEL I had the code ran and it said a faulty gas cap but that can't really be the reason can it? For me to be losing that much gas? I fill the van up it says I have 400 miles till empty but it empty in like 170 well o travel carefully and maintain 31mpg help?

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I don't know what to say, but if your van normally gets 30 mpg, you might be able to sell it back to Chrysler. They might put you on TV!

Mine gets between 21-22 mpg on the highway, driving 70 to 75 mph. Around the suburbs it gets 16 to 18 mpg.

Before you drive yourself crazy, you need to run some controlled experiments. Stop at a gas station fill it up. Drive. Go back to same station, and fill it up. Calculate mileage. Do this a bunch of times.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Any smells or running rough? If the trip thinks it is 30, there could be a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think something is wrong with your trip computer like andyg said, 30mpg is really low. See my signature that’s my average usage and mine is 3.3L engine.
If you click on that usage in my signature and register at that site you can keep your own usage up to date, and put it on your signature like me to show how environment friendly we are :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know what to say, but if your van normally gets 30 mpg, you might be able to sell it back to Chrysler. They might put you on TV!

Mine gets between 21-22 mpg on the highway, driving 70 to 75 mph. Around the suburbs it gets 16 to 18 mpg.

Before you drive yourself crazy, you need to run some controlled experiments. Stop at a gas station fill it up. Drive. Go back to same station, and fill it up. Calculate mileage. Do this a bunch of times.
Well I usually don't drive with all the seats I take out the seats in the middle next to the sliding doors when I don't need them, but when I have it loaded with ppl it usually 18-21mpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think something is wrong with your trip computer like andyg said, 30mpg is really low. See my signature that’s my average usage and mine is 3.3L engine.
If you click on that usage in my signature and register at that site you can keep your own usage up to date, and put it on your signature like me to show how environment friendly we are :p
30mpg seems low? That is great mpg!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it seems like the cap is helping drove 30ish miles like I usually do and mpg stayed the same and the needle barely moved conspared to before, the only thing that bothers me is how does the gas escape so quickly with the faulty cap? It wasnt spilling out bc I didn't see any stains or spill marks..but I guess I fixed my own problem but thanks everyone for your help! :):thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts