The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have around 105K on my 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan, and the struts are gone. It seems there is always new and the latest info on which are the best struts and rear shocks for these vans, which hold up better? Let me know if you havew any input on this. I need to do mine...

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
177 Posts
105k, you got your money's worth. How do you know they are gone? Are you doing anything special with the van that needs more than OE?

·
Super Moderator
29,243 Posts
Many struts and shocks are replaced that don't need to be, the aftermarket replacements being inferior, in most cases, to the OE product.

How about over 300,000 to 370,000 kms (185,000 to 230,000 miles) and still performing fine? How about 15 to 20 years? That's year round year use including winter salt and pothole season.

Some say every 50,000 miles - they, of course, sell or install the product, and offer a lifetime warranty. I guess a lifetime is 50,000 miles. :)

Some say 10 years, some say 4-5 years. There are a whole lot of numbers thrown around.

Make sure the shocks or struts are the problem before replacing. Some will say all 4 should be replaced at the same time. Don't believe them.

Reactions: Cciman

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, now the van smashes through the potholes and never did before. You gotta take a dirt road to get to my dirt road. When it hits a larger pothole, it lets out a large BANG, never did before. It's just mostly the wife and I riding around at or below ($5.29 fuel) the speed limit.

·
Vendor
1,672 Posts
I put Moogs on mine. A spring broke and it was easiest to just install a full unit. They ride great! I’ll probably need shocks soon. They aren’t leaking, but getting bouncier than I’d like.

MOOG parts are good.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well, now the van smashes through the potholes and never did before. You gotta take a dirt road to get to my dirt road. When it hits a larger pothole, it lets out a large BANG, never did before. It's just mostly the wife and I riding around at or below ($5.29 fuel) the speed limit.
I'll bet the potholes have gotten deeper and bigger. Best to drive around them.
Check the springs-- if they are not broken, they are the same as before. Shocks won't keep the car from bottoming - see if they have leaked oil.

·
Super Moderator
29,243 Posts
Jounce bumper(s) missing?

·
Registered
806 Posts
OEM or KYB are the way to go for shocks/struts.
While you're in there, do sway bar bushings/links, inspect ball joints and tie rods, inspect control arms.

Anyone who claims these easily last 300k+ clearly enjoys driving their vehicle's broken. Here in the Rust Belt, 100k on factory suspension is a good run.

Reactions: Mtfix20

·
Super Moderator
29,243 Posts
OEM or KYB are the way to go for shocks/struts.
While you're in there, do sway bar bushings/links, inspect ball joints and tie rods, inspect control arms.

Anyone who claims these easily last 300k+ clearly enjoys driving their vehicle's broken. Here in the Rust Belt, 100k on factory suspension is a good run.
Well, you know, there are companies giving "lifetime" warranties of struts and shocks.

Then again:
"Experts recommend having your vehicle’s shocks and struts inspected every 12,500 miles and replaced every 50,000* miles"

Experts are a dime a dozen when it comes to shocks and struts.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, applies to shocks and struts as well. Just saying. :)

Scotty has it right. 386,000 mile test. Not too bad, and reusing the OE springs.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Well, you know, there are companies giving "lifetime" warranties of struts and shocks.

Then again:
"Experts recommend having your vehicle’s shocks and struts inspected every 12,500 miles and replaced every 50,000* miles"

Experts are a dime a dozen when it comes to shocks and struts.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, applies to shocks and struts as well. Just saying. :)

Scotty has it right. 386,000 mile test. Not too bad, and reusing the OE springs.
Scotty is also a moron, so there's that.

• Haha
Reactions: Jeepman

·
Super Moderator
29,243 Posts
Ha, ha. Scotty seems a bit crazy but gets it right some times. A moron? Estimates put Scotty in the $10 million net worth ballpark. Morons are usually worth more than that. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Long_Voyager94

·
Registered
177 Posts
Despite what magic technology companies want to sell and make you believe, shocks/ struts serve basic function to dampen and reduce the frequency of the spring movement. On a street vehicle these can last a long time if the fluid stays contained in them.

Broken, worn springs need replacement. Increasing carry load or change in function of vehicle need replacement. The trick is isolating the symptoms of the ride and targeting the solution, rather than going by brand names (which are not objectively tested side by side against another set up).

Throwing Gucci or $$ suspension on will certainly feel stiffer, but also placebo effect at work.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do the bounce test on the front bumper area....push down, and let go immediately.....if it's fairly easy to push down, and bounces a few times, chances are your struts are bad....I did the test on my '03 Caravan a couple years ago....bounced like a Slinky.....replaced the front struts.....immediately stiffened the front end, and it rides and steers MUCH better.

·
Registered
2015 Chrysler T&C 117K
3 Posts
Ha, ha. Scotty seems a bit crazy but gets it right some times. A moron? Estimates put Scotty in the $10 million net worth ballpark. Morons are usually worth more than that. :)
seems like someone worth that much would have an actual shop to do videos in and use better tools. Wouldn't take a million dollars to build a decent shop...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts