The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vendor
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a set of these yesterday, replacing the Kelly’s the dealer installed 2 years ago. I hope they live up to the traction ratings I’ve seen.

The Kelly’s would spin without trying in dry conditions, and had terrible snow traction. I also had two punctures in 6 months. That’s never happened to me, even on my work trucks

I have not driven the van yet, but hope to soon. I’ll keep this updated.

·
Super Moderator
28,188 Posts
Continental/General tires are good performers, in my experience. I have used the General Altimax Arctic previously and it worked well. I have Continental True Contact Tour on my van now and will be putting Continental Winter Contacts on soon.
Continental True Contact Tour Tire

Continental WinterContact SI Plus Winter Tire

General Tire Altimax RT43 Tire
The AltiMAX RT43 has been a go-to benchmark for value-focused tires for a long time. We see how the newest in the category compares to the dependable veteran.
You will be happy with the RT43. Canadian Tire here has their version as well. Road Rated at 95.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had a set of Discount Tire Conti's that were their house brand of the True Contact (Control Contact Tours I think), and I believe the RT43 is of similar construction as both of these. They have different tread designs but their DOT specs and mileage/performance ratings are the same or similar.

One comment is that I had my set on a Subaru and killed a tire with a bolt which probably would have killed any tire, but my perception is that this is a lighter weight tire that gives a great ride and great gas mileage, and was good in winter. I had 225/65x16's on a Forester, same as my Grand Caravan but on a 1" smaller rim. I would not hesitate to use them on a GC. The set on my Subaru showed almost no wear at 20k miles although that was lighter than the GC.

My favorite "tough" tire is the Michelin LTX M/S. I've had 3 sets of these on my Ford van and a set on a Subaru and they are great and more truckish but still well mannered.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V
629 Posts
I like General tires. I had General Grabber AT2s on my Ranger and General Altimax Arctics on my little Ford Aspire, and I was impressed with both of them.

I would liked to have put a set of Grabber AT2s on my van, but I wasn't paying half of what I paid for the van for a set of tires.:oops:

·
Registered
190 Posts
The General Altimax RT43 is a much heralded tire on another board I frequent. I would absolutely buy a set.

However, a few years ago I bought a pair of Cooper CS4's which performed excellently.
I just HAD to buy a set of CS5's. They're doing fine.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I installed a set of these yesterday, replacing the Kelly’s the dealer installed 2 years ago. I hope they live up to the traction ratings I’ve seen.

The Kelly’s would spin without trying in dry conditions, and had terrible snow traction. I also had two punctures in 6 months. That’s never happened to me, even on my work trucks

I have not driven the van yet, but hope to soon. I’ll keep this updated.
We replaced brand new Firestone tires on our van after the scary experience in 1/4" of snow. We installed Altimax RT43s. That was 2 years and 50k miles ago. They offer great snow traction, a smooth/quiet ride, and wear quite well.
I finally installed a new set last month, after road debris tore up the sidewall of 2 tires.

·
Vendor
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I drove the van for the first time today. Road noise was a major difference noticed, as there was none. Gravel traction was much better (van didn’t float my favorite curve) and I tested for a stop light squeal and it didn’t happen.
The thin sidewalls from the reviews and the comment above are my only concern, but so far, I am happy!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I hope you have many safe miles on them. I have a set of Michelin Latitude Tours on my GC with 48k miles on them and although they are at 5/32ish, they seem to spin on wet pavement a lot and we're coming into a Michigan winter. At this point I lean hard to the Michelin LTX M/S but I was hoping to get another year out of the tires on the GC. The LTX will ride a bit harder but has more sidewall strength even in the 225/65x17 size.

We just got a bit of snow today but we took my wife's Subaru on errands.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I hope you have many safe miles on them. I have a set of Michelin Latitude Tours on my GC with 48k miles on them and although they are at 5/32ish, they seem to spin on wet pavement a lot and we're coming into a Michigan winter. At this point I lean hard to the Michelin LTX M/S but I was hoping to get another year out of the tires on the GC. The LTX will ride a bit harder but has more sidewall strength even in the 225/65x17 size.

We just got a bit of snow today but we took my wife's Subaru on errands.
This has always been my issue with Michelin and Continental tires. They are great when new, but once they start wearing, they become noisy and tend to lose traction substantially.

The Altimaxes even at 50k miles still held the road just as they did when new.

·
Vendor
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Same here. I have no love for Michelin due to end of life lack of traction. Dry is good, but snow was terrible in my 2 experiences.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts