The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
fix it if you can
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the threads on walker parts.. (they're getting dated though)

anyone do any exhaust work in the past few month? are all walker (quiet flow) mufflers sold today made of stainless? (as per their ad)
any alternatives?

thanks
PS: this is for a 98 Gr.Caravan with 3.3

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I took mine to an exhaust shop and they put on an OEM replacement muffler and tailpipe from the cat converter back for ~$175 if I remember correctly. Did this early December.

I figure the original stuff lasted over 10 years before it started to make noise, the new stuff will out last the van by a few years unless I never decide to get a newer vehicle. lol

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I think it is the walker replacement. It looks exactly like my old one did, just not rusty yet.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I too bought a walker cat back replacement, at Partsource. I forget the cost, probably 200 canadian, maybe a little less, the factory one lasted 10 years, was still fine but the insides must have been rotting a bit because it was beginning to get a little boomy, that's all. I'll have to wait a few years to see if it rusts any faster. It's been a year and it still looks good. For the long wheelbase they sell a 6" or so extension that goes ahead of anything else, but I just cut the factory pipe up close to the first new part instead because I couldn't get those rusty things apart.

·
fix it if you can
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info..
unfortunately, I think the old mopar muffler finally split at the hanger bracket (at 12 years and 140Kmi, not bad at all)

I guess the quite flow products that are of stainless need to have "ss" superscript / designation.. Interestingly enough, walkes site makes no mention of aluminized steel products (in quite flow category..) and they don't make a part # distinction..
http://www.walkerexhaust.com/products/mufflers.asp
Now if I could only find a #21275 in stainless...

how long can the aluminized quiet flow mufflers be expected to last in heavy road salt&sand environments?

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
I put Walker exhaust parts on my Dakota. The tailpipe is aluminized and the muffler is a Dynomax Super Turbo, which is also aluminized. The only rust so far is on the bare metal exhaust clamps. You should get a lot of life out of any decent exhaust system.

Back when I lived in an apartment, I had Midas replace the muffler and tailpipe on my '95 Nissan truck and it lasted for 7 years before the truck left our family, and it looked fine then as well. As long as the muffler is built with good materials, it should last.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Yeah they usually split at the muffler seams. Mine was making more noise with that problem but it didn't bother me until the whole pipe snapped off about 1ft in front of the muffler. It sounded decent, but not something I wanted to drive everyday.

·
fix it if you can
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI (in case anyone's interested) - walker muffler and rear pipe,
just pulled the rear pipe with resonator from under van, it failed at the rear muffler connection (rusted up and broke clear off, hanged there by the rubber isolator of the resonator and the hitch receiver - if the van did not have a hitch to catch the weight of the resonator the entire pipe probably would have been deposited on a highway... :jpshakehe )

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I just replaced the muffler and resonator/tail pipe assembly and the hanger for the third time with Walker parts. They say "lifetime warranty" but the kid at advance auto said that does not cover rust. I've paid for the parts all three times. Grr.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Put a Magnaflow in place of the OEM muffler under the 2nd row passenger area. It's stainless steel and holding up well for the past 3 years (OH road salts), sounds a little more throaty than stock, but not too intrusive :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts