The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a call from the shop after they got a chance to look at my 2011 T&C. Oil was overfilled causing issues and leaking.

Alternator needs replaced due to being soaked in oil
Harmonic Balancer needs replacement (this has been needed but other shop was idiots)
Timing Cover is leaking so needs to be resealed.

Transmission oil pump is making noise so may be cause issues in the future.

To do the alternator, the harmonic balancer, and the timing cover they quoted $2700
not touching the transmission oil pump at this time.

Does this sound right? I know I can do the harmonic balancer and alternator as I have done it before, how involved is the timing cover on the 3.6? How big of a job is the transmission oil pump replacement?

·
Registered
2007 town and country
18 Posts
The timing cover is huge on that and may require the engine dropped to re-seal, that's the only scenario I see to justify that price, but I do all my own work and don't know what shop time is up to now. Transmission front pumps usually are beyond the layman's ability and require special tools to remove and install, but every Transmission is different. Regardless, if the pump is going out I'd be nervous of how much further damage has been caused and would never feel comfortable with it again. I'd just put in a used unit if it was me.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Timing cover leak is most likely the crankshaft front seal, which should be done when the harmonic balancer is done. Unless the alternator is no longer charging, clean it off and keep running it.

Sounds to me like you need to find a new shop. Even if the leak is from the actual timing cover, $2,700 is way too much for that work. I'd expect barely over $1k, only because alternators are so expensive.

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Town & Country Limited 4.0
1,041 Posts
I agree with Sienile, time to find a new shop that's not going to gouge you. The alternator and balancer are fairly easy DIY parts to replace.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts