The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Newbie here. I have an '09 T&C limited that has been burning through brake pads & rotors every 20-25k miles - with a lot of vibration in between. I saw BenS's thread on doing the upgrade to the 2013 HD double piston calipers and larger rotors and want to go that route. My van has the 17" wheels.
I've done a few brake jobs in my time but haven't had to bleed the brakes since my '78 Cutlass! lol. My main question is do I need to bleed all four wheels even if I'm just changing the front calipers? Forgive me if this is stupid question. I just don't want to do more work than I need to here. :)
Also, any recommendations on a good set of pads to put on? I don't care about the brake dust. More concerned about stopping at a "normal" distance.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The brakes are known to be undersized for the weight of the van.

One highly possible reason you're burning through brakes so fast is because the calipers aren't releasing your pads completely causing them to drag a little but not enough to feel anything when driving. I would relube the slide pins and contact points annually, there are a number of threads here on it.

If you do decide to go with the upgrade, this forum is very helpful. Seeing that your van is 7+years old with what I assume is original brake fluid, I would get fresh fluid to get fresh fluid so I know I don't have to do it again for many years to come. Some members here don't think there's any need to completely replace your old fluid (as in they never changed fluid for the life of their vehicles), which I respect, but my opinion is that since I have it apart, I might as well spend a little extra effort now and know there's nothing I didn't do.

My biggest concern is overheating the fluid with the tiny brake setup and compromising the fluid's integrity. Again, my opinion only.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Marcus! So you would recommend bleeding out the fluid with fresh - which means all four lines then, correct? Do you happen to know the bleed order on the 5th gen models?
Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
4,773 Posts
Hi all. Newbie here. I have an '09 T&C limited that has been burning through brake pads & rotors every 20-25k miles - with a lot of vibration in between. I saw BenS's thread on doing the upgrade to the 2013 HD double piston calipers and larger rotors and want to go that route. My van has the 17" wheels.
I've done a few brake jobs in my time but haven't had to bleed the brakes since my '78 Cutlass! lol. My main question is do I need to bleed all four wheels even if I'm just changing the front calipers? Forgive me if this is stupid question. I just don't want to do more work than I need to here. :)
Also, any recommendations on a good set of pads to put on? I don't care about the brake dust. More concerned about stopping at a "normal" distance.
To answer your question, you would only need to bleed the fronts if the front lines are the only ones you open up.
That being said, now would be a great time to get new fluid to all 4 wheels.
As for a pattern, as long as the system was not run dry a pattern does not need to be followed, at least not in the 19 years I did this work for a living.

As for a pad choice see this thread (mine), from when I upgraded my factory HD's to slotted/dimpled rotors.
I do get more brake dust from the pads in this thread but stopping is not a problem.:)
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/99314-Upgrading-factory-HD-brakes-due-to-a-pulsation?highlight=upgrading

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 09 with 17 inch wheels (104k) and IMO, definitively use ceramic pads, avoid semi-metallic for dust issues. I generally do not bleed my brakes unless I have to tap into the brake lines for some reason. I've owned 3 different Chrysler vehicles and all of their brakes generally suck for longevity. Getting more than 40k miles on the front is uncommon. I just replaced the rear and they were metal to metal at 60k.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My main question is do I need to bleed all four wheels even if I'm just changing the front calipers? Forgive me if this is stupid question. I just don't want to do more work than I need to here. :)
I think you should upgrade all 4 calipers.

·
Super Moderator
4,773 Posts
I have a 09 with 17 inch wheels (104k) and IMO, definitively use ceramic pads, avoid semi-metallic for dust issues. I generally do not bleed my brakes unless I have to tap into the brake lines for some reason. I've owned 3 different Chrysler vehicles and all of their brakes generally suck for longevity. Getting more than 40k miles on the front is uncommon. I just replaced the rear and they were metal to metal at 60k.
Over 60K on my 2013 rears now. They are barely worn.

My 94 will go 60k on a set of fronts. The rear shoes lasted 20 years.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
60k on front brakes is great, is this mainly highway driving? We generally do about 80% plus city driving so that probably doesn't help me either. Your 1994 had rear drums and yes that setup seems to last much longer than the new rear disc brakes. I actually like rear drum setup better than discs and I and wish the newer vans had them.

I also wonder if the 2013 vans has different rear brakes than the 2009? Did you check the rear passenger or rear driver's side? On my van the driver's side rear wears a little quicker than the passenger side rear.

·
Super Moderator
4,773 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,773 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had to comment here. I have a 2012 RT I will have owned for 5 years this November. 14800 miles as of today and just ordered pads and rotors all the way around from Rockauto. First brake replacement on this van! They are showing no sign of problems yet, just notice a slight pedal pulse when braking quickly from highway speeds, I just thought it is time. Yes we do mostly highway driving as we live nearly 20 miles from the nearest town and shopping.
I was looking for info on changing the pads and rotors on the HD setup. By the way, the RT option has paid off on this vehicle in more ways than just the brakes.

·
Super Moderator
4,773 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts