The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can we run higher wattage (80W) bulbs in our headlights without issue?

The scene:
2018 Grand Caravan, currently running Beamtech LEDs in the high/low beams.

The issue: LEDs mess with radio reception and I currently have a high beam out, so it seems time to switch back to halogens. But given our mostly "country" roads, deer, weather, etc I want to stick with something with more output than factory.

Possible Solution: Enter the Nokya Cosmic White 80W bulbs:
Liquid Fluid Font Electric blue Drink

I've ran these specific bulbs in a bunch of other vehicles and they've been my go to for years, but I want to make sure they won't cause any issues with the 2018 before I pull the trigger and get them.

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I'm my experience and opinion, quality LEDs outperform any halogens and don't have radio interference issues. You do tend to get what you paid for. Get a good name based on reviews, and likely ones with fans. I've had the best experience with Hikari, which I had not previously heard of. I have a set of LED Sylvania H11 in the fog lights and one has gone out in less than a year. I wanted something without a fan, since the backs of the fog light bulbs are somewhat exposed to elements. They have a 5 year warranty, which I'm going to use.

High performance halogens really do tend to have shorter life.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm my experience and opinion, quality LEDs outperform any halogens and don't have radio interference issues. You do tend to get what you paid for. Get a good name based on reviews, and likely ones with fans. I've had the best experience with Hikari, which I had not previously heard of. I have a set of LED Sylvania H11 in the fog lights and one has gone out in less than a year. I wanted something without a fan, since the backs of the bulbs are somewhat exposed to elements. They have a 5 year warranty, which I'm going to use.

High performance halogens really do tend to have shorter life.
I had tried the Hikari bulbs before getting the Beamtech bulbs that are currently in it.
I had to send the first set back in 3 days, the 2nd set only lasted 2 weeks. Both sets had terrible radio interference.
I almost didn't get the Beamtechs for fear they would be worse, but they turned out to be better in every aspect while costing far less. Turns out the Beamtechs are actually better rated than Hikaris, so like most things these days, $$=/= good.

Usually my high output halogens last 5+ years without issue, so "lasting" isn't much concern to me.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I've been doing some reading on LED bulbs and radio interference. It's honestly something I have never experienced. I'm not sure what the real cause is, something in the bulb's cable or electronics, bad shielding in the vehicle itself, or why one vehicle might be more susceptible to it relative to what should be another identical car.

Hikari has 2 or 3 tiers of output/performance. I got their higher end versions and haven't been disappointed.

I've heard good and bad on Beamtech, but haven't tried them myself.

Nighteye and Alla, I would definitely avoid.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oddly enough, Alla are about the best rated bulbs you can get in the 2504 bulbs our vans take for fog lights...

Personally, outside of the radio interference, my Beamtechs have been nothing but wonderful. They offer far more light output than factory, have no issues with flicker, and give a crisp/clean cutoff so they don't glare for other drivers.

Radio interference happens because LED bulbs emit RF. All LEDs do it, some vehicles are just better shielded than others.

All that being said, my question here is if the high wattage halogens will mess with the newer van's electronics at all?

·
Registered
2012 Chrysler Town & Country Touring w/133,000 in service 5/2022
68 Posts
I've been doing some reading on LED bulbs and radio interference. It's honestly something I have never experienced. I'm not sure what the real cause is, something in the bulb's cable or electronics, bad shielding in the vehicle itself, or why one vehicle might be more susceptible to it relative to what should be another identical car.

Hikari has 2 or 3 tiers of output/performance. I got their higher end versions and haven't been disappointed.

I've heard good and bad on Beamtech, but haven't tried them myself.

Nighteye and Alla, I would definitely avoid.
Which Hikari's did you end up with? I've had the Beamtechs in my '08 DGC and were happy with them, looking to get some LED's for my '12 T&C

John

·
Registered
2,842 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Never had radio interference with any of my LEDs... though I get the fan type and I know you get the type with the heat sink "rope". Maybe that's being an antenna?

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
584 Posts
Light distribution and beam pattern with aftermarket products are far inferior to bulbs for which the housings we're focused for (no matter what they promise). I played with several iterations of xenon and led setups in several cars, and even if the lumens were much higher, the light patterns made them only a slight improvement. That and they don't last as long as advertised, high frequency flicker, and replacements can be mismatched in color and connectors.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
The anti-flicker "decoders" are basically a must. Maybe they also help with RF interference?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The anti-flicker "decoders" are basically a must. Maybe they also help with RF interference?
No idea, my Hikaris needed the "Anti-flicker" harness, still had terrible interference.

My Beamtechs do not and they have less interference.

Shrugs

Never had radio interference with any of my LEDs... though I get the fan type and I know you get the type with the heat sink "rope". Maybe that's being an antenna?
See above.

We also live in the middle of nowhere, so radio reception isn't great to begin with, which makes any interference more noticeable.

·
Registered
2005 Town & Country base 3.3L
44 Posts
I've read that you must have the correct housing for style of bulbs. If your van has LED's, you should probably stick to LED's. If it is a halogen housing - run halogens.

I just tried putting LED's in my fog light housings which I didn't think would matter since they're aimed low. a trucker lit me up on my test drive after passing him.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've read that you must have the correct housing for style of bulbs. If your van has LED's, you should probably stick to LED's. If it is a halogen housing - run halogens.

I just tried putting LED's in my fog light housings which I didn't think would matter since they're aimed low. a trucker lit me up on my test drive after passing him.
That would be true except modern LEDs are designed to make use of the reflectors in regular halogen housings.....

·
Registered
148 Posts
80 watts is quite a bit over the stock 55/60. With the way they are engineering these systems, to be just the minimum size needed to save costs, I'd be a little leery of 80 watts doing any favors for the wiring or modules. Me? I'm heading the other way with LEDs. A 60 watt equivalent LED is only about 6 watts actual and some LEDs are offered in pretty high equivalent wattage that is still same/lower than the 60 watts the system is designed for. As for radio noise, your is the first I've heard of that with LEDs. Might try a different brand LED. I bought TechMax brand as they were highly rated for LED placement and that is what makes a good beam cutoff. Bad LED placement can make it bad for other drivers.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would go with LED instead of 80W Halogen. You will likely induce a lot of heat which may work well for melting snow in the winter but not gain much more than 5-10% of additional light output. LED bulbs some are hit or miss but they do offer ones that have very similar LED chip placement to the fillament on an an H11 so the beam output is actually almost the same. Here are some 25$ bulbs off amazon and the beam they produced.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Asphalt Wheel

Computer White Peripheral Black Input device

Of these 3 bulbs the outter ones made the beam same as OEM, and the silver one worked very well into the high beam. ALl of them cost me around 75$.

Note that aftermarket headlights do not work well with LED bulbs. only the OEM reflectors work good with LED bulb.

LED bulb in an aftermarket housing leaves these annoying streaks of light.

Water Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Asphalt

and the OEM lamps with LED bulbs leave you with basically OEM beam with clean evenly distributed light and a nice cutoff line.

Cloud Light Automotive lighting Sky Gas

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
Reactions: Oscarphone
1 - 20 of 25 Posts