The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the location of the sensor that makes the automatic headlights come on? Ours dont come on until it is real dark. Lots of times here in Ohio where the sun hasn't been out since October they should be on and they are not. Or if they do they suddenly decide its light enough and shut off. The main thing is you cant tell they decide to shut off. Thank you in advance for you help. Dragonnfly

·
Registered
363 Posts
It should be on the windshield clipped onto the mirror mount. It unclips and you can clean the surface of the photocell. It is not adjustable though. I had an old Imperial once that had an early-late adjustment dial on the dash. It would be a good idea to have them now.

·
Premium Member
4,760 Posts
Here is how it operates and the photo cell is in/on the front side of the inside rearview mirror.

AUTOMATIC HEADLAMP SYSTEM
The Automatic Headlamp system turns the instru-mentation
and exterior illumination lamps ON when
the ambient light levels are Night and the engine
RPM is 450 or above, and OFF when light levels are
Day.
AUTOMATIC HEADLAMP SYSTEM
Automatic headlamps are controlled by the Body
Control Module (BCM). With the headlamp switch in
the AUTO position, the BCM will control the head-lamp,
parking, side marker, tail and instrumentation
lamps based on ambient light levels. Ambient light
levels are monitored by the BCM using the Day/
Night signal and Electrochromatic Mirror (ECM)
present from the Compass Mini Trip (CMTC) located
on the front windshield in front of the rear view mir-ror
ECM. Ambient light readings are averaged to
limit cycling the lamps ON and OFF when passing
through areas with varying light levels. The auto-matic
headlamps will only function when the engine
is running with RPM > 450. When the headlamp
switch is in the AUTO position (Automatic mode), the
Headlamp Time Delay system will function when the
ignition switch is placed in any position other than
run/start.

·
Vendor
1,105 Posts
OK, kinda related, but can the auto headlight be added to a vehicle that does not have it?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Like anything else If you have enough money it can usually be done. First you have to know if you have a base wiring harness or the high line harness. then you have to buy the mirror with photo sensor from Chrysler about $385.00 with auto day night feature and headlamp sensor. You have to replace the headlamp switch and reprogram the bcm with the autoheadlamp option. If you have the right harness and buy the parts you may be able to make it work for $ 500.00 plus. I bought the mirror from a Ebay seller and have the harness since my van is a T&C with the EVIC in the overhead console but I have not had time to take out the headlamp switch and check the pin outs of the connector to see if the autolamp switch will fit. At this point I have $30.00 invested in a used mirror. Don't enen start this project untill you get a factory shop manual and check out the harness. If you have to install a new harness you could be talking big money. I was wanting to check wreaking yards this summer for a crashed gen 4 and get the parts I needed. I will post if this project gets off the ground.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Sounds like a lot of work to avoid turning a switch. Personally, I think I'll stick with manual ones.

·
Vendor
1,105 Posts
OK, I was just curious. If it was relativly cheap and simple I was going to do it. Oh well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anyone have a copy of the wiring diagram for the dimming mirror?

On my 99 Intrepid, I was able to install the sun sensor and the updated headlight switch and the auto headlights worked. No other work was necessary and the wiring was in place.

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
My Cadillac has automatic headlights, but I keep that feature turned off and use the switch. That car waits too long (in my opinion) turn turn the lights on, and is too quick to turn them off, much like dragonfly's van apparently.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just a follow up.

It can be done and it's easy enough.

You'll need:
1.Factory auto dim mirror with pigtail from 2001-2006 Caravan/Town Country. ($10.00 salvage yard)
2.Headlight switch with the Auto option ($45.00 new)

Your van must have either the trip computer (OTIS) or EVIC.

It's a simple 4 wire hookup to the wiring at the EVIC. Once connected, the BCM automatically recognizes that the vehicle has auto headlights. Now my EVIC has an added function: Headlights on with wipers.

Pin 1 on the mirror is switched ignition power.
Pin 2 is ground.
Pin 3 is reverse dim inhibit.
Pins 4 through 6 are not used.
Pin 7 is the sun sensor output.

I'll work on a schematic and post it if folks are interested.

Dave:

·
Registered
936 Posts
What I WOULD be interested in is whch yard sold you one for $10? Were you holding a gun?! Every yard I have called wants on the low end like $60 and upwards of $125

·
Registered
20 Posts
I go to a u-pull yard.

When I updated my Intrepid to auto lamps, I pulled the sun sensor, headlight switch, plus a spare tire spacer and weatherstrip for the door, from a 3 year old car. Paid $25.00 for the whole lot.

Some yards want too much for items that are small. Then there are those yards that don't let you pull items and only sell big ticket parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI-Beam sensor

I have a 2011 Town and Country Touring. It has the automatic hi-beam dimmer sensor on the inside rear view mirror that glows green when "on". Currently, it is blinking on and off. Does someone know how to reset that flashing light? Please respond to [email protected] Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just a follow up.

You'll need:
1.Factory auto dim mirror with pigtail from 2001-2006 Caravan/Town Country. ($10.00 salvage yard)

It's a simple 4 wire hookup to the wiring at the EVIC. Once connected, the BCM automatically recognizes that the vehicle has auto headlights. Now my EVIC has an added function: Headlights on with wipers.

Pin 2 is ground.

Dave:
Hi there,
I am interested in this topic and digging the same issue after almost 11 years, since I have a chance to come to Florida and to an auto salvage yard of course...
Now, I have the required mirror and an auto headlight switch from the salvage. This week I am returning home and will rerofit as soon as I can...
You say that it is a simple wiring but, I am not able to understand from the pin numbers you provided. So, could you explain which cable goes where exactly at the EVIC?
Thank you in advance...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I installed headlight switch and required electrochromatic mirror. Now, I have auto headlights feature and it works perfectly. It was just plug and play. But, I still need wiring schematic related to which pin goes to where at EVIC to have "wipers on headlights on feature"...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just a follow up.

You'll need:

Pin 2 is ground.

Dave:
Now, I have 2006 Chrysler Grand Voyager Limited CRD with 2.8L diesel engine. Except for the fuel economy, and really exciting 360NM turbodiesel torque feature especially on uphill driving; in vans with diesel engines, Chrysler has found some features unnecessary such as 3-zone automatic climate control, center console between the front seats, and interior roof handles to grab. I owe thanks to Chrysler for leaving the electrocromatic mirror (ECM) and EVIC in my Diesel Voyager. Speaking of the ECM, I want to have autolight feature and, at this point, I want to ask a couple of questions:
  • Are having ECM and autoheadlight switch enough to have autoheadlight feature?
  • Do I need a headlight sensor clipped onto the ECM?
  • Do I need any wiring or a wiring has already been installed as a provision for future retrofit, now that van has an ECM and EVIC?
Finally, if you add any schematic and related tricks, that help will be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
11 Posts
One thing I'd love to know is - how do you tell if you have an EVIC or not? Or an OTIS or not? I cannot seem to find any actual pictures of what either those is supposed to look like.

·
Registered
143 Posts
One thing I'd love to know is - how do you tell if you have an EVIC or not? Or an OTIS or not? I cannot seem to find any actual pictures of what either those is supposed to look like.
See the below info extracted from RG body Shop Manual which was provided by an OP via below link somewhere in the Forum (you can find the shop manuals and more at this link): http://www.chryslerforum.co.uk/topic/428-manual-workshop-manuals/

3.15 OVERHEAD CONSOLE COMPASS/TEMPERATURE MODULE, COMPASS/MINI-TRIP COMPUTER or ELECTRONIC VEHICLE INFORMATION CENTER
The Compass/Temperature Module (CT), Compass/Mini-Trip Computer (CMTC) or Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) is located in the overhead console. The CT provides the vehicle operator with only outdoor temperature and the compass heading. The CMTC or EVIC supplements the standard vehicle instrumentation. The CMTC and EVIC use a vacuum fluorescent (VF) display to supply the vehicle operator with a compass heading, outdoor temperature, average fuel economy, distance to empty, trip odometer, elapsed ignition on time, distance to service, warning messages, and service messages.
The difference between a CMTC and an EVIC is that only the EVIC provides additional memory, feature programming, and warning messages. The EVIC is capable of displaying warning messages and memory system messages when the vehicle is equipped with memory systems. The EVIC also provides the interface to enable and disable vehicle programmable features when the vehicle is equipped with certain features.
If equipped, the EVIC is also available with an integrated Universal Garage Door Opener (UGDO) known as HomeLink. The EVIC may also be equipped with up to 4 power door switches: ON/ OFF, Left Sliding Door, Right Sliding Door, and Liftgate.
The CT function buttons are labeled C/T and US/M. The CMTC function buttons are labeled US/M, C/T, RESET, and STEP. The EVIC function buttons are labeled C/T, RESET, STEP, and MENU. The three UGDO buttons are labeled with dots to indicate the channel number.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks, that should really help. Out of curiosity, which manual did you find that above passage in? I was looking through the 2005 manual, and I can't seem to find it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
13 Participants
G Sheck
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing