The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the middle of the night, engine off, keys out of the ignition, the left headlight/tail light have started cycling themselves on/off. To get it to quit, I removed the under hood relays and fuses. This morning I checked the relays under the dash, and the left bottom one (if you're kneeling on the driver's side, facing the dash, just above the fuse row) shows signs of arcing across three of the blade contacts. I cleaned them off with sandpaper and re-inserted, but what really should be done? What likely causes of the problem?

1996 3.8L Grand Caravan LE, 280k miles

·
3rd gen > all others
2,513 Posts
Was it raining, or had rained recently? I had that happen on my 85 Supra once (park lights came on by themselves). I pulled the fuse for the park lights to turn them off, and put it back in the next day when it had dried out. Never happened again. I'm guessing the circuit found a ground because of wet wiring.

Do you have trailer wiring? That could also cause just the left side light to light up, but doesn't explain the headlight.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, yes, there was a big rainstorm earlier that day. Though it continues now and it's been dry for two days, and I live in the desert. I do have trailer wiring and before all this happened I checked the termination of the wires (which have been cut and taped with electrical tape).

Does anybody have a service manual to see what the lower left relay is called and its part number? (in the relay pack under the driver's-side dash)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I just replaced all the relays on the lower row of the relay pack under the dash. Seems to be working.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts