The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(2002 T&C, 3.3L)

About 2 days ago my radiator had multiple fractures and needed to be replaced. I first noticed the problem when my heat stopped working on my way to a restaurant. The next morning I went to check the fluid and it was all on the ground already. So i bought a new radiator and installed it, haven't had any issues with leaks or running temperature so thats good. But I have noticed that my heat (at about half way to normal running temp) just blows cold/luke warm air through the vents. Only when at Normal running temp will the heat function normally. My thoughts were to possibly the heater core or thermostat went bad too. I'm new to this forum and the van, so I thought i'd get some advice if this had happened to someone else as well. Winter is slowly approaching here in Ohio, would really like the heat working lol.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!

Since you had to drain the system when you changed the radiator, it is normal that you get air pockets trapped somewhere in the system (hopefully this is the case and no more leaks).
The trapped air will go out after several operational cycles, then you need to top off the radiator and the reservoir.

You can try to take it out manually by revving up the engine while the radiator cap is off (don't open the cap while the engine is hot !!), then topping off the radiator (worked with me).

Or, you can just top off the radiator to the top and the reservoir to the mid level every morning for the next couple of days until all the air gets out.

Enjoy your van :beerchug::beerchug:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum!!

Since you had to drain the system when you changed the radiator, it is normal that you get air pockets trapped somewhere in the system (hopefully this is the case and no more leaks).
The trapped air will go out after several operational cycles, then you need to top off the radiator and the reservoir.

You can try to take it out manually by revving up the engine while the radiator cap is off (don't open the cap while the engine is hot !!), then topping off the radiator (worked with me).

Or, you can just top off the radiator to the top and the reservoir to the mid level every morning for the next couple of days until all the air gets out.

Enjoy your van :beerchug::beerchug:
Hey thanks for the quick reply! I'm gonna have to try those methods out. Until you mentioned air pockets, i didnt even think of it. And after it being mentioned, makes a lot of sense that it could be the issue. Thanks Again!

·
Super Moderator
22,229 Posts
My bet is that if you check the actual level of coolant in the radiator, when cold, the level is down. Being down means that coolant can't get to the heater core unless you accelerate rapidly, go up hill or wait for it to expand a bit.

This is a typical problem in a no heat or sometimes heat situation. Never, ever depend on the reservoir reading to tell you what's actually in the system. Remove the radiator cap and take a peek. I find filling the system with the vehicle level works and air bubbles come out readily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts