The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My inlaws have a 2001 LXI (the loaded one.) It has automatic split climate control (driver, passenger and rear) Well we can't get any heat unless the settings are on "hi" and not a temperature and only out of the middle defroster opening. When it's on most any other position, there is always cold air coming out of the foot area.

Is this just the blend doors being stuck? Is there a sensor issue?

Also, this may/may not be related but the outside thermometer that's on the overhead cluster is way off. I guess it works in the summer but when we went up north and it was maybe 30-35 it said it was 110-120 outside. On the way home it was reading 60-80 when it was 20-25 outside.

It also has intermittent issues of the auto doors not shutting and the rear lift gate not unlocking.

Any help would be appreaciated.

·
Super Moderator
25,852 Posts
Does it have automatic temperature control?

As to the outside temperature monitor, check the mounting of the sensor. Sounds like it is picking up heat from the radiator. It is likely located on the backside of the grill and away from the radiator.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Does your blower motor only run on high? When you hit the power button (turn off), does it continue to run? If this is happening, and you have automatic climate control, it is probably your "blower motor power module" located behind your glovebox. It is secured to the firewall with two screws. If so, it is very easy to fix yourself.

·
Super Moderator
25,852 Posts
Does your blower motor only run on high? When you hit the power button (turn off), does it continue to run? If this is happening, and you have automatic climate control, it is probably your "blower motor power module" located behind your glovebox. It is secured to the firewall with two screws. If so, it is very easy to fix yourself.
Sounds to me like it is only getting heat on the defroster setting. That could be a safety override of some sort. I have no experience with automatic temperature control but would guess that the thermostat that controls the temperature is not working. There should be a manual setting though.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Sounds to me like it is only getting heat on the defroster setting. That could be a safety override of some sort. I have no experience with automatic temperature control but would guess that the thermostat that controls the temperature is not working. There should be a manual setting though.
When mine failed, the blower motor run only on high, and no air (hot or cold) came out any of the vents - although out the defrost may have been possible, but I don't remember checking that.

But you may be right Jeepman. After reading the OP a second time, I interprit the explaination differently. Perhaps some clarification is in order.

Just for future reference, and in case its needed, my receipt for the module for my 03 T&C with automatic climate control says this:

4885482 -AC Module PO 8035022 $76.67 plus tax

·
Super Moderator
25,852 Posts
One of those with the blower motor in the right rear as well, I understand.

If the vehicle doesn't have automatic temperature control, the electrical unit near the blower that regulates the blower speed is called a resistor block whereas if it has automatic temperature control, the unit is called a power module. Both are similar in installation.

·
Super Moderator
25,852 Posts
One of those with the blower motor in the right rear as well, I understand.

If the vehicle doesn't have automatic temperature control, the electrical unit near the blower that regulates the blower speed is called a resistor block whereas if it has automatic temperature control, the unit is called a power module. Both are similar in installation.
Apparently a loose temperature sensor at the grill might pick up a warmer temperature (faulty reading) from the radiator and cause the air conditioning to come on in response (with automatic temperature control). That could be the problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has the automatic climate control.

I was wondering if the outside air thermometer and the climate control were somehow linked.

·
Super Moderator
25,852 Posts
It has the automatic climate control.

I was wondering if the outside air thermometer and the climate control were somehow linked.
My sense is that the temperature sensor is loose from its mount immediately behind the grilll, and finds itself near the radiator, which in turn tells the computer it is very hot outside, the computer in turn activating the air conditioning.
Get the sensor fixed and the cooling problem will disappear. Does the system not have a manual override?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked and the sensor (or what I guess to be the sensor) is in the bracket in front of the radiator and not touching it. Has about 2-3 inches of clearance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check out this thread in the 3rd generation forum:

Dead Gauge Cluster....FIXED! (not the usual fix) ( 1 2)
maxwell1295

My heat wasn't working either along with my instrument cluster. The thread above descrided my problem exactly and it didn't cost me a penny to fix.

Its at least worth a try.

Bryan

·
Registered
2013 T&C Touring L
89 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
for some reason it's working now...I did nothing other than check connectors on the sensors and the back of the controls.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts