The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Chrysler Town & Country 4.0L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New battery. New alternator. New EGR. New (used) TPIM. New spark plugs. Heats up to optimal running conditions and stalls out. Won't start until everything cools down again. (Did not touch PCM - yet)
Oh! Other things to note. Radio cuts in and out and AC Compressor stopped a year ago.
Initial code was EGR. Then #4 misfire. Now throttle control warning light.
T&C 4.0 every option available 2010 147,000

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
964 Posts
Could be an overheating crank sensor. Could also be a blown head gasket. How's the coolant level? Check both reservoir and radiator.

Reactions: LEVY

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
964 Posts
Not likely a blown head gasket then. That's good. What are the codes?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,436 Posts
New battery. New alternator. New EGR. New (used) TPIM. New spark plugs. Heats up to optimal running conditions and stalls out. Won't start until everything cools down again. (Did not touch PCM - yet)
Oh! Other things to note. Radio cuts in and out and AC Compressor stopped a year ago.
Initial code was EGR. Then #4 misfire. Now throttle control warning light.
T&C 4.0 every option available 2010 147,000
Could be an overheating crank sensor. Could also be a blown head gasket. How's the coolant level? Check both reservoir and radiator.
+ 1

When it doesn't start because engine is hot, locate the crank sensor and with a garden hose cool it down.

If it starts right away, replace the crank sensor.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Years ago a friend had a boat with a inboard V8. Did the same thing as you describe, shutting down after it heated to operating temperature. Waiting until it cooled down and it would restart.

My friend had several mechanics try to figure out why it kept shutting down. Finally one mechanic decided to just start changing things, one at a time. When he put new plugs in the problem was solved. Even though the bad plugs were new, they were shorting out when hot. Oddball problem but maybe you have the same thing.

Let us know when you figure it out.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
964 Posts
It's rare for new plugs to be bad out the box. More likely is that they were dropped in and not properly gapped.

I'd do Levy's water hose on the crank sensor trick before going any further. That's more likely the issue.

Reactions: LEVY

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
337 Posts
I'd get it scanned its possible you might have a bad coolant temperature sensor which should throw a CEL or store a code :rolleyes:

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,436 Posts
It's rare for new plugs to be bad out the box. More likely is that they were dropped in and not properly gapped.

I'd do Levy's water hose on the crank sensor trick before going any further. That's more likely the issue.
Very rare indeed, almost impossible. More likely it was a coil wire or something that failed back then.

Don't waste money on more spark plugs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts