The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is my first message here.

A few weekes ago I bought my first Chrysler minivan. It's 2001 Town&Country 3.8 AWD.
The car is an American version and it was manufactured in Canada.

Just out of curiosity I decoded my car's VIN number and it says my T&C is equipped with:

NHD COOLER - HEAVY DUTY TRANSMISSION OIL
NMC ENGINE COOLING - HEAVY DUTY
NMR RADIATOR - HEAVY DUTY

Now, I looked under the hood and behind the grille, but to be honest all I could see was the main engine cooler and nothing more.
My question is: how does the "heavy duty transmission oil cooler" look like? And where is it located?

I don't have the tow group installed if that's of any importance.

(sorry for my English. I'm doing my best but I live in Europe, half way between the North Pole and Mediterranean - this summer definitely closer to the North Pole ;) )

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hmm... I have a 2007 and the Tranny oil cooler is set in front of the radiator, it is a big ass unit, thats why is called HD, it can hold more oil than a regular one... probably the amount of oil that can cool is larger than a smaller regular one.

Follow the oil lines that go to the transmission, those lines have to go to the extra radiator im talking about or to the radiator it self depending on the design of the cooloing system, some times the tranny lines go to the radiator and then end up in a separated radiator unit, sometimes the lines goes strait to the tranny oil cooler or other variations but this is something you have to figure it out looking where the transmission lines are going or coming to. Hard to know from your description because we arent looking at your car :)

For example I was sweaing my 3.8 did not have an extra tranny cooler and I even bought one, while taking the car appart to install the thing noticed i did not need one, I saw a big ass radiator attached to the regular radiator and the tranny lines were attached to it.

Hope that asnwer your question.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hello everyone, this is my first message here.

A few weekes ago I bought my first Chrysler minivan. It's 2001 Town&Country 3.8 AWD.
The car is an American version and it was manufactured in Canada.

Just out of curiosity I decoded my car's VIN number and it says my T&C is equipped with:

NHD COOLER - HEAVY DUTY TRANSMISSION OIL
NMC ENGINE COOLING - HEAVY DUTY
NMR RADIATOR - HEAVY DUTY

Now, I looked under the hood and behind the grille, but to be honest all I could see was the main engine cooler and nothing more.
My question is: how does the "heavy duty transmission oil cooler" look like? And where is it located?

I don't have the tow group installed if that's of any importance.

(sorry for my English. I'm doing my best but I live in Europe, half way between the North Pole and Mediterranean - this summer definitely closer to the North Pole ;) )
How can I decode my vin number to see what may be lurking that I am not aware of .....?

·
Registered
10,144 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Regarding your original question as to where your trans cooler is - it's hiding. Chrysler sandwiched it between the radiator and the A/C condenser. Here's a picture of mine with the radiator removed:

The ATF coolers have the habit of breaking their mounting brackets, then rubbing a hole in either the radiator or condenser. I caught mine after it broke but before it caused more damage. The diagonal brace you see is something I added to hopefully prevent future trouble (this was after re-riveting the bracket back onto the cooler).

Is mine the heavy duty cooler or standard? Don't know. Maybe someone can tell me.

I hope this answers your question about your cooler location!

Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as I know only the HD cooler is a separate unit; the regular tranny oil cooler is integrated with the radiator.
But I may be totally wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts