What would be the better Minivan for me

• 3rd Gen

• 4th Gen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my name is Louies and i am interested in buying a 4th gen minivan. in the past i was given a 3rd gen 1999 dodge caravan 3.8 with yes 265,000 miles and yes i still had reverse! some of you will get that joke since the 3rd gen had transmission issues but everything shifted fine and no electric issues at all can't say the same for the next example. I had a 2001 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8 with 171,000 miles and at 200,000 miles it started having a battery drain issue which can happen to anybody but when i was driving i lost power and pulled at the side of the road. It was a crank no start so i had it towed and there were many bad wires that the technician needed to replace and also the fuel pump needed to be replaced too. shortly after i was getting a TCM code for the low/reverse circuit and reverse was still working regardless but the transmission was in limp mode for the fault. Before thinking of replacing the solenoid pack i took a look at the TCM and it looked decent but you can't really tell the condition by looks but i disconnected the TCM plug for the solenoid and did a resistance test that was shown online by testing the resistance from one pin to the pin that you was testing in my case it was the low/reverse pin and i got 1.8 ohms of resistance. I also tested the other pins of the solenoid even though all the other solenoids in the pack are good that's why i only got the code for the one solenoid and it all tested 1.8 ohms of resistance at the solenoid it self. i did a continuity test with the battery disconnected on the low/reverse wire from the solenoid plug all the way to the end of the wire which would be the connector to the TCM and there was continuity. I than did a resistance test which is the same test i did on the solenoid pack but i just connected one wire of my multimeter to the low reverse wire by using a alligator clip on the bare wire and the other wire to one of the two transmission output/ sensing wires which there are two and i suppose to get 1.8 ohms just like i did on the solenoid but i was getting 15.645 and constantly changing. I also perform the wiggle test while doing the wire test and me shaking the wiring harness was causing the readings to change too and also the door locks stopped working and the brake light came on after that wiggle test. I never had to do all this testing on my 1999 3rd gen caravan which is making me lean more towards the 3rd gen because most likely when this same problem happens on the 3rd gen it will be more likely it's a bad solenoid pack rather than a huge wiring problem that i had on my 4th gen but i heard and seen so many of this 4th gen van with high miles and didn't had any of the issues i had or if it did the solenoid pack was actually bad rather than it being a electrical issue. Whats your opinions and recommendations based on your personal experience? also if you have the time if you check out this video this is exactly the issue i was having and the fix was replacing the entire ecm wiring harness which i find extremely crazy that the 4th gens wiring harnesses are that bad

·
Super Moderator
27,730 Posts
For the 4t Generation, take a look here, it's current.
Never owned a grand Canavan - Any device before buying?

·
Super Moderator
27,730 Posts
Speaking of rocker panels, check cladding placed over the old ones. These can be poorly done with regard to rust resistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts