The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who can help provide some insight regarding changing the stabilizer bar links on each side? Can this be done at home easily enough, or are any specialized tools needed?

Also, who can tell if the stabilizer bar and the sway bar are the same thing or not? I assume they are simply 2 names for the same thing, but unsure.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
22,910 Posts
Who can help provide some insight regarding changing the stabilizer bar links on each side? Can this be done at home easily enough, or are any specialized tools needed?

Also, who can tell if the stabilizer bar and the sway bar are the same thing or not? I assume they are simply 2 names for the same thing, but unsure.

Thanks
Sway bar is the more common term.
Are the links noisy? They may need to be tightened. Ther's a trick to the tightening though.
Do a search for "sway bar links" and you will find many Posts on the subject.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The noise is a deep sounding knocking, not a rattle. I got a quote, but out of work & trying to save $. They said the one stabilizer bar is worn out & loose, and the other is not much better.

·
Super Moderator
22,910 Posts
The noise is a deep sounding knocking, not a rattle. I got a quote, but out of work & trying to save $. They said the one stabilizer bar is worn out & loose, and the other is not much better.
"Not much better" doesn't tell you anything. The Mechanic was dozy.

My experience is that the Driver's side will out last the Passengers side by at least twice as long.

If a nut is loose, they will clunk bad. The trick is to make sure the the stud portion is rigidly restrained (wrench or vice grips) while the nut is tightened. If not, ie the stud turns, the nut will eventually back off. That's a very common problem after a new installation.

When removing the old link, be destructive, show no mercy. If worn / rusted enough, you can separate the link at the ball socket. That helps.

Otherwise, use heavy duty vice grips on the socket side and a wrench on the nut. If all else fails, use a nut splitter or drill the nut to remove it. I have done both. They can be a pain and take time so don't rush / get frustrated.

·
Registered
92 Posts
While you're at it change the SB bushings also. They, and their brackets, are a common source of suspension noise on our vans.

·
Super Moderator
22,910 Posts
Do yourself a favor and don't cheap out on the replacements because the cheap ones simply don't last very long.
I have "made in China" greasable links and they are holding up real well, better than OE actually. They have open seals so they get grease with every oil change.

Bushings on the other hand, including the Mopar nylon insert ones and the MOOG problem solvers, can develop a clicking (not clunking) noise within a few months after installation. A good spray of Fluid Film at the slit in the bushing seems to remedy that for awhile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts