The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the factory parts for installing a block heater in my 2011 Grand Caravan with the 3.6 engine. I have not been able to find either a video or good instructions online for how to do this. Can anyone offer tips/help if you have done this before? Specifically where is the hole for the heater located and will I need to drain the anti-freeze? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,831 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
It depends on size of block heater, because you have to drain radiator and pull a freeze plug out. then install in hole in block and refill with antifreeze etc, they make 2 or 3 kinds of block heaters. 1 for lower radiator hose, 2 press into block freeze plug hole or 3 push into block hole and then tighten down with a socket and ratchet and the rubber expands and seals block hole.

·
Super Moderator
4,831 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just curious how tight the fit is on that style that goes into the side of the block, not touching any coolant? I'm guessing it actually contacts the block on the sides of the heater, and there's no air gap?

·
Super Moderator
24,434 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
They tell me the cartridge are the OEM type and the only type available. I bought a Kat's brand, like the e trailer ones. But I can't find where it goes. Can someone that has a heater follow the cord to the block and take a picture?

·
Super Moderator
24,434 Posts
They tell me the cartridge are the OEM type and the only type available. I bought a Kat's brand, like the e trailer ones. But I can't find where it goes. Can someone that has a heater follow the cord to the block and take a picture?
Is Post #2 any help?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the factory parts for installing a block heater in my 2011 Grand Caravan with the 3.6 engine. I have not been able to find either a video or good instructions online for how to do this. Can anyone offer tips/help if you have done this before? Specifically where is the hole for the heater located and will I need to drain the anti-freeze? Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4jrZP1ODck

·
Super Moderator
24,434 Posts
AutoMate has a picture, sort of sketchy but should work.

Go to: https://www.prattlibrary.org/research/database/?sbj=137
Go to AutoMate
Go to AutoMate

After you pick your vehicle, search for "block heater assembly"

This is the line to look for in the listing: "Component Locations Block Heater Assembly Engine Engine Mechanical 890449 Engine"

The hole for the heater is to the left of the middle. Looks like just an empty hole with a spot for a bolt to hold the heater in place.

Let m know if this helps. If not, I will look further. Too cold/snowy/windy outside to look under the hood now.

Reactions: MotoMax

·
Registered
9 Posts
AutoMate has a picture, sort of sketchy but should work.

Go to: https://www.prattlibrary.org/research/database/?sbj=137
Go to AutoMate
Go to AutoMate

After you pick your vehicle, search for "block heater assembly"

This is the line to look for in the listing: "Component Locations Block Heater Assembly Engine Engine Mechanical 890449 Engine"

The hole for the heater is to the left of the middle. Looks like just an empty hole with a spot for a bolt to hold the heater in place.

Let m know if this helps. If not, I will look further. Too cold/snowy/windy outside to look under the hood now.
Wow, that is great. Is that a view from the front, or back of the engine?

·
Super Moderator
24,434 Posts
Wow, that is great. Is that a view from the front, or back of the engine?
I think the bottom manifold cover is toward the front. Take a look at the two pipes that are coming out from the engine as a reference point. I take those to be on the pulley side of the engine (Passenger's side).

There are pictures of the engine on the site as well. Everything can be zoomed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think the bottom manifold cover is toward the front. Take a look at the two pipes that are coming out from the engine as a reference point. I take those to be on the pulley side of the engine (Passenger's side).

There are pictures of the engine on the site as well. Everything can be zoomed.
I was thinking the same, that the heater goes in the front of the block, towards the passenger side. Maybe behind the compressor. However the heater manufacturer Kat's says in the instructions, and when I talked to them that it is in the Rear Left.

·
Super Moderator
24,434 Posts
I was thinking the same, that the heater goes in the front of the block, towards the passenger side. Maybe behind the compressor. However the heater manufacturer Kat's says in the instructions, and when I talked to them that it is in the Rear Left.
Rear, for them may actually be the left for you (the translation for inline to transverse get fuzzy at times).

Just checked my 2016 GC.

The plug, and some extra wire, are wrapped up on the Driver's side in a free space between the headlight and the electrical stuff. It goes from there, across the front of the engine, in convoluted wire loom, over to the engine oil dipstick tube, down along the dipstick tube, to (couldn't see any further, even with a flashlight, would need to get underneath).

Before it disappeared, I noticed a beige electrical splice connection of some sort.

The mystery continues.

·
Super Moderator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,015 Posts
It goes on the right front (passenger) side of the engine behind the alternator. You need to remove the alternator to install the heater.

I found installation instructions for the Dodge Journey here: K6861276.pdf, installation for your Dodge Caravan will be similar.

Reactions: GCTruckster

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I gave up and took it in. The mechanic confirmed there is no place for the Kat's cartridge heater in the LR of the block. So he went to install it in the RF but the Kat's cord would be smashed by the alternator. So they had to get a Mopar heater, as it has a 90 degree plug. I finally got a return correspondence from Kat's tech support, they had no positive info. I am very disappointed in Kat's and Five Star Manufacturing, their misinformation and lack of correspondence cost me a lot of time, money and frustration.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts