The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1997 Plymouth Voyager SE, the short bed version, with the 3.0 liter engine. Over a year ago, the shift cable broke. I was told by the local Chrysler garage that they couldn't find a replacement cable anywhere online, or from Chrysler Corp., etc., and that my best bet would be to find the cable at a junkyard. The garage said that the replacement cable must come from ONLY a 1995 to 2000 Chrysler product van with the 3.0 liter engine and 3 speed automatic transmission. Sounds like an easy quest? Of course, I immediately went online, and the local garage was correct, no such part exists anywhere online, not with Rock Auto, J.C. Whitney, eBay, etc., etc., don't bother checking yourself, you would be wasting your time. SO- I begin to check the inventory at salvage yards, not only here in upstate New York, but I checked with the tri- state database in Virginia when I was in N.C. last year and... nothing. I love the van, and at this point, I figure that I should make an appeal to the greater Chrysler minivan community, possibly a member has one of these cables for sale, or knows of someone who has one. The design of the cables makes it difficult if not impossible to modify/ shorten or lengthen them, that's why it's essential to use one that's a perfect match. Thanks for reading this, and also for any advice you may have.

·
Registered
488 Posts

·
Stuck with a 3rd Gen
472 Posts
OP, I can keep an eye on this in my junkyard runs. Next one is this Labor Day weekend. Slcsoundguy, the one you linked seems to be the throttle cable. At least, it seems to be so, judging by the name. Shift cable is connected from the shift lever at the steering wheel to the tranny. Throttle cable is from the gas pedal to the throttle plate on the throttle body.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Greetings. Oops, my bad! Continued luck on your quest. 🤞

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greetings. I found the part on the below link. moparpartsoverstock.com It has been superseded to a new number.

OP, I can keep an eye on this in my junkyard runs. Next one is this Labor Day weekend. Slcsoundguy, the one you linked seems to be the throttle cable. At least, it seems to be so, judging by the name. Shift cable is connected from the shift lever at the steering wheel to the tranny. Throttle cable is from the gas pedal to the throttle plate on the throttle body.
Hey, thanks, wtz_ftw. Before I noticed your reply, I also checked with moparpartsoverstock, and yes, it's not the shift cable that the part # is for, it's for a throttle cable. If you run across a 3 liter on one of your junkyard runs, it would be like Christmas and my honeymoon rolled into one. Let me know if you locate the cable, I will PayPal you the cost plus finder's fee of your choosing! Have a great weekend!

·
Registered
974 Posts
www.car-part.com search for a yard with a 3.0 van engine, then call them for the shift cable

·
Stuck with a 3rd Gen
472 Posts
OP, I actually found three 3rd gens with 3.0 motors and 3 speed trannies in my local yards' websites. I physically went to one that is closest to me--about 18 miles. Someone had pulled the tranny, but the shift cable was tucked away, greasy, but with no visible damage. I decided to pull it for you, moved the shrouds around the steering column, removed the nut for the mounting bracket, but was presented with some golden colored hairline thingie hanging around a bolt. It was kinda pesky, I cut it off, but quickly realized that it was part of the shift cable, lol!

The 3.0 shift cable is DIFFERENT from the 3.3/3.8 variety that I have pulled!

That golden colored hairline thread SEEMS to be connected to the instrument cluster!

I need to read my FSM on this before I tackle the next one.

The other two are in yards that are some distance from me--55 miles. I decided not to go because the temp is too high--about 100.

Next sale is Columbus Day, somewhere in the middle of October.

If I find one, it will be whatever the yard charges, plus some nominal labor fee, and shipping.

I won't rip you off! Just helping out a fellow Chrysler minivan owner! (y) :)

·
3rd gen > all others
2,159 Posts
Kudos for helping out a fellow member.

That "thread" connected to the shift cable actually attaches to the shift indicator needle on the instrument cluster, to tell the driver what gear the transmission is in. You'll have to dig deeper to disconnect it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
Road Ripper
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing